Makmor Tumin is a Political Scientist at the Faculty of Business and Economics, University of Malaya, and has been serving at the institution since 1997. His works are on issues such as political thoughts, religion and politics, civil society, and social policies mainly on public health. He currently has nine books credited under his name, of which five of them deals with political thought, including one on feminism in Malaysia while another three on public health, focusing on organ donation and transplantation in this country.
His works on social policy of public health have been published in many ISI and Scopus journals, collaborating with experts such as those from the Faculty of Medicine and the Academy of Islamic Studies. Currently, he is embarking his interdisciplinary work in issues on Religion and Politics with experts from Islamic Institutions, both local and international.
His specific works on Islamic studies can be accessed through the following link:
He has currently published 20 articles in ISI journals, 20 in Scopus journals, 23 in Non-(Scopus/ISI) journals, 13 book chapters, 21 book reviews and more than 100 printed media articles in magazines and newspapers.
With eyesight that began to deteriorate at the age of 11, he enrolled in a blind school in 1983 before continuing his studies at the University of Malaya. Being blind, he is currently an Executive Board member of the ASEAN University Network - Disability and Public Policy (AUN-DPPnet). Besides that, he is also the Chief Editor for a People With Disabilities (PWD) Magazine ("Mainstreamer"), funded by the Nippon Foundation under AUN-DPPnet.
Below are some information about his book projects:
a. Forthcoming (2022)
1. Islam dan Governan di Malaysia / Islam and Governance in Malaysia (2022), edited by Sharifah Hayaati Syed Ismail, Mohd Izani Mohd Zain, Makmor Tumin, UMPress.
2. Masyarakat Sivil di Malaysia: Isu dan Cabaran/Civil Society in Malaysia: Issues and Challenges (2022), edited by Makmor Tumin, Mazlan Che Soh, Sharifah Hayaati Syed Ismail, UiTMPress.
3. Islamic Political Thought in the History of Malay Scholarship (2022), by Auni Abdullah (translated by Makmor Tumin), UMPress.
4. Pemikiran Politik Islam Masa Kini: Sandaran Syariah dan Falsafah / Contemporary Islamic Political Thought: The Pillars of Shari'a and Philosophy (2022), edited by Makmor Tumin, Mohamad Zaidi Abdul Rahman, Robi Nurhadi, UMPress.
5. Koleksi Hadis Akhlak Terpuji / Content of Character (2022), by Hamza Yusuf (translated by Makmor Tumin and Zulkifli Mohd Yusof), JAKIM Publisher.
6. Ibrah Surah Yusuf / Lessons From Surah Yusuf (2022), Makmor Tumin and Zulkifli Mohd Yusof, JAKIM Publisher.
7. Ibrah Suruh Al-Kahfi / Lessons From Surah Al-Kahfi (2022), Makmor Tumin and Zulkifli Mohd Yusof, JAKIM Publisher.
8. Ibrah Surah Yasin / Lessons From Surah Yasin (2022), Makmor Tumin and Zulkifli Mohd Yusof, JAKIM Publisher.
9. Pemikir Politik Islam Alam Melayu di Malaysia / Malaysia's Islamic Political Thinkers in The Malay World (2022), edited by Makmor Tumin, Abu Hanifah Haris, Mohammad Tawfik Yaakub, UMPress.
1. Islam and the History of Malaysian Politics and Government , by Auni Abdullah (translated by Makmor Tumin), UMPress.
2. Mothers of The Believers, Lesson From Shaykh Yasir Qadhi, Makmor Tumin, Sharifah Hayaati Syed Ismail. Tertib Publishing.
3. 40 Hadith of Imam an-Nawawi: Lessons From Shaykh Navaid Aziz, Makmor Tumin. Tertib Publishing.
4. The Rashidun Caliphs: A Religious and Political Narrative, Makmor Tumin. Tertib Publishing.
5. Masyarakat Sivil Maya di Malaysia: Penerusan dan Perubahan, Mazlan Che Soh, Makmor Tumin, Sharifah Hayaati Syed Ismail.
6. Ketokohan dan Sumbangan Pemikir Islam Alam Melayu, Makmor Tumin, Abu Hanifah Haris, Ahmad Kamal Ariffin.
7. Do Humans Really have Freedom of Choice? A Casual Talk, Makmor Tumin
1. Manusia adalah Khalifah: Kedaulatan Rakyat dalam Pemikiran Islam Moden / The Caliphate of Man: Popular Sovereignty in Modern Islamic Thought (95 percent completed) , by Andrew F. March (translated by Makmor Tumin and Aufa Nawi).
2. Muhammad Uthman El-Muhammady's Examination on al-Mawardi's Book on TheOrdinances of Government (85 percent completed), adapted by Makmor Tumin and Ahmad El-Muhammady.
3. Sirah Baginda Rasulullah SAW (80 percent completed). Makmor Tumin, Saadan Man (Non-academic).
4. Pemikiran Politik dan Ekonomi Barat Edisi Kedua (50 percent completed) by Makmor Tumin.
5. Reclaiming Patriotism in an Age of Extremes, by Steven B. Smith (translated by Makmor Tumin).
6. Nasionalisme, Patriotisme dan Kosmopolitanisme: Diskusi Falsafah Politik Barat, Makmor Tumin.
7. The Breaking of Two Desires: Lessons from Shaykh Abdal Hakim Murad, Makmor Tumin.
8. Peranan Ulama Nusantara, Makmor Tumin, Amiratul Munirah, Sarah.
9. Patriotisme di Malaysia, Makmor Tumin, Nazri Muslim, Azmi Ibrahim.
10. China Lawan Amerika Syarikat: Diskusi Santai Ekonomi Politik Antarabangsa, Makmor Tumin.