DR. VILASHINI SOMIAH
- Gender Studies
Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
Vilashini Somiah is an anthropologist who is a senior lecturer at the Gender Studies Programme at Universiti Malaya. She received her Ph.D. from the National University of Singapore, an MA from Ohio University, an MRes from Universiti Malaya, and a BA from the Universiti Malaya. She maintains a keen interest in underrepresented narratives of women, migrants, and Borneans living in the interiors. She is the co-editor of “Sabah From the Ground: The 2020 Elections and the Politics of Survival (SIRD/ISEAS, 2021), and her first book, “Irregular Migrants and the Sea at the Borders of Sabah, Malaysia: Pelagic Alliance'' with Palgrave Macmillan (2022). Outside of academia, she writes ethnographic articles on the local socio-political landscape.
To learn more about Dr. Somiah and her work, please visit https://www.vilashinisomiah.com
- Editor-in-chief of Faculty e-bulletin - PULSE , Faculty, 01/07/2020 to present
- PENYELARAS KLUSTER KURSUS STUDENT HOLISTIC EMPOWERMENT (SHE), Faculty, 30/01/2020 to 30/01/2021
- Penyelaras Gender Seminar Series , Faculty, 01/08/2019 to 31/07/2020
- Ahli Jawatankuasa Pengajian Ijazah Tinggi Fakulti Sastera dan Sains Sosial, Faculty, 01/08/2019 to 31/07/2020
- PhD (Southeast Asian Studies), PENGAJIAN ASIA TENGGARA, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE
- MA (Southeast Asian Studies), ARTS, OHIO UNIVERSITY, ATHENS, OHIO
- MA (Media Studies), PENGAJIAN MEDIA, UNIVERSITI MALAYA (UM)
- BA (Hons)(MediaStud), PENGAJIAN MEDIA, UNIVERSITI MALAYA (UM)
- Association for Asian Studies, Active Member, 2019 to 2020 (International)
(Course Title),(Level of Study),(Institution),(Academic Session)
(Title of publication in APA style)
- Somiah, V., Usman, M.R., & Baltazar, A. (2021). Remembering the undocumented of Sabah in a panicked Malaysia. In Southeast Asia, Infected and Interrupted: Elevating Critical Voices on the State of Human Rights and Peace in the Time of COVID-19 (pp. 208 2012). SHAPE-SEA.
- Welsh, B., Loh, B. Y. H., & Somiah, V. (2021). An Introduction to Sabah s Politics of Survival. In Sabah From The Ground: The 2020 Elections and the Politics of Survival (forthcoming). SIRD/ISEAS.
- Welsh, B., Loh, B. Y. H., & Somiah, V. (2021). Sabah after the Covid-19 Election Aftermath: Not Just New (and Old) Political Alignments. In Sabah From The Ground: The 2020 Elections and the Politics of Survival (forthcoming). SIRD/ISEAS.
- Somiah, V. & Jalil, A. (2021). Incessant Political Narratives: Perilous Migrants and the Treacherous East. In Sabah From The Ground: The 2020 Elections and the Politics of Survival (forthcoming). SIRD/ISEAS.
- Somiah, V., Usman, M., & Baltazar, A. (2020, March 22). Remembering Sabah's undocumented in a panicked Malaysia. Malay Mail. Retrieved from https://www.malaymail.com/news/what-you-think/2020/03/22/remembering-sabahs-undocumented-in-a-panicked-malaysia-vila-somiah-michelle/1848908
- Somiah, V. (2020, September 15). What Is the MA63? And Why it Is Important to Sabah and Sarawak. https://newnaratif.com/comic/what-is-ma63/.
(Title of Thesis),(Name of Candidates),(Institution),(Academic Level)
- Positioning Analysis of New Mothers Narrative in the Transition Back-to-work After Childbirth, WONG YEE VON, University of Malaya (UM) (Post Graduate Student)
- HETEROSEXUAL MALAYSIAN MEN S SOCIAL CONNECTEDNESS WITH OTHER MEN: THE INTERSECTIONALITY OF ETHNICITY AND RELIGION, Christine Maryanna a/P Gabriel, University of Malaya (UM) (Post Graduate Student)
- Social Integration Among Japanese Singaporean Mixed-Race Children in Singapore: Ethnicities and Gender, Kayoko Matsumura, University of Malaya (UM) (Post Graduate Student)
- Intergenerational Conceptions of Power among Rural Women and Girls and its Effects on the Imaginative Power of Adolescent Girls in The Gambia, Danielle Agyemang, University of Malaya (PhD)
- Attitudes about fathers as active and engaged parents in Malaysia, Sabrina Aripen, University of Malaya (PhD)
- A decade of a Vibrant Socio – Political Women Movement Sindhiani Tehreek in Sindh (1980- 1990 ), FIZA NAZ QURESHI, University of Malaya (PhD)
- POSITIONING ANALYSIS OF NEW MOTHERS NARRATIVE IN THE TRANSITION BACK-TO-WORK AFTER CHILDBIRTH, WONG YEE VON, University of Malaya (PhD)
- , KAYOKO MATSUMURA, University of Malaya (PhD)
- Deconstructing Malaysian Men's Emotional Intimacy in Male-to-Male Friendships, Christine Maryanna Gabriel, University of Malaya (PhD)
- Narrative Analysis of Gender Roles, Financial Autonomy, and Health Priority Among Those with Cancer in Urban Poor Families in Selangor, Noor Husna Ahmad Toha, University of Malaya (MASTER)
(Contribution to Society),(Duration),(Level)
- Interview, “Consider This: PH Plus - Playing The Sabah Card?',” Bernama News Channel, 26/09/2020 to 26/09/2020
- Interview, “#LTSK: Sabah Bangkit – More Than Youth Anthem?” Astro Awani, 19/09/2020 to 19/09/2020
- Interview, “Tea with Tehmina - Episode 20 - Educating Sabah's Stateless Children,” Bernama News Channel, 17/08/2020 to 17/08/2020
- Interview, “Consider This: PH Plus - Playing The Sabah Card?',” Astro Awani, 29/06/2020 to 29/06/2020
- Interview, “Consider This: Kimanis By-Election - 'Down to the Wire',” Astro Awani, 17/01/2020 to 17/01/2020