AREAS OF EXPERTISE
POPULATION HEALTHpopulation, health, HIV, Infectious Diseases
MPH (Hons), (Public Health)University of Auckland
PhD (Demography), (Demography)Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
MA (Population and Reproductive Health Research), (Population and Reproductive Health Research)Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
MSocSc (Economics), (Economics)University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
BSocSc (Hons)(Economics), (Economics)University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Head of Unit01 Apr 2023 - 31 Mar 2024 (Department)
Article in Journal
Earnshaw, Valerie A.; Cox, Jon; Wong, Pui Li; Saifi, Rumana; Walters, Suzan; Azwa, Iskandar; Omar, Sharifah Faridah Syed; Collier, Zachary K.; Hassan, Asfarina Amir; Lim, Sin How; Wickersham, Jeffrey; Haddad, Marwan S.; Kamarulzaman, Adeeba (2023). "I want the doctors to know that I am as bright as a candle": Experiences with and Hopes for Doctor Interactions Among Malaysian Key Populations and People Living with HIV, AIDS AND BEHAVIOR. (), . doi:10.1007/s10461-022-03942-9
Shrestha, R., Lim, S. H., Altice, F. L., Copenhaver, M., Wickersham, J. A., Saifi, R., . . . Kamarulzaman, A. (2020). Use of Smartphone to Seek Sexual Health Information Online Among Malaysian Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM): Implications for mHealth Intervention to Increase HIV Testing and Reduce HIV Risks. Journal of Community Health, 45(1), 10-19. doi: 10.1007/s10900-019-00713-x
Lall, P., Saifi, R., Baggio, D., Schoenberger, S. F., Choo, M., Gilbert, L., . . . Kamarulzaman, A. (2019). Risk Factors for a Positive Hepatitis C Status in Fishermen in Kuantan Malaysia. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, 31(3), 227-237. doi:10.1177/1010539519841294
Earnshaw V.A., Cox J., Wong P.L., Saifi R., Walters S., Azwa I., Omar S.F.S., Collier Z.K., Hassan A.A., Lim S.H., Wickersham J., Haddad M.S., Kamarulzaman A. (2023). I want the doctors to know that I am as bright as a candle :: Experiences with and Hopes for Doctor Interactions Among Malaysian Key Populations and People Living with HIV, AIDS and Behavior. 27(7), 2103-2112. doi:10.1007/s10461-022-03942-9
Earnshaw V.A., Cox J., Wong P.L., Saifi R., Walters S., Azwa I., Omar S.F.S., Collier Z.K., Hassan A.A., Lim S.H., Wickersham J., Haddad M.S., Kamarulzaman A., Altice F.L. (2023). Acceptability and Feasibility of Online, Asynchronous Photovoice with Key Populations and People Living with HIV, AIDS and Behavior. 27(7), 2055-2069. doi:10.1007/s10461-022-03938-5
Gautam K., Paudel K., Jacobs J., Wickersham J.A., Mohd Ikhtiaruddin W., Azwa I., Saifi R., Lim S.H., Shrestha R. (2023). An mHealth-Delivered Sexual Harm Reduction Tool (PartyPack) for Men Who Have Sex With Men in Malaysia: Usability Study, JMIR Formative Research. 7(), . doi:10.2196/48113
Rosen A.O., Wickersham J.A., Altice F.L., Khati A., Azwa I., Tee V., Jeri-Wahrhaftig A., Luces J.R., Ni Z., Kamarulzaman A., Saifi R., Shrestha R. (2023). Barriers and Facilitators to Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis by Men Who Have Sex with Men and Community Stakeholders in Malaysia, International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 20(9), . doi:10.3390/ijerph20095669
Ethical Issues in Photovoice Studies Involving Key Populations: A Scoping Review
Testing for HIV among Men Who Have Sex with Men in Malaysia: A Cross-Sectional Study
What Power and Agency Do Women Maintain in HIV Disclosure Conversations with Intimate Partners?: A Scoping Review
“I want the doctors to know that I am as bright as a candle”:: Experiences with and Hopes for Doctor Interactions Among Malaysian Key Populations and People Living with HIV
Earnshaw VA, Cox J, Wong PL, Saifi R, Walters S, Azwa I, Omar SFS, Collier ZK, Hassan AA, Lim SH, Wickersham J, Haddad MS, Kamarulzaman A.
Earnshaw, V. A., Cox, J., Wong, P. L., Saifi, R., Walters, S., Azwa, I., ... & Altice, F. L. (2022). Acceptability and feasibility of online, asynchronous photovoice with key populations and people living with HIV. AIDS and Behavior, 1-15.
Walters SM, Li WP, Saifi R, Azwa I, Syed Omar SF, Collier ZK, Amir Hassan AB, Haddad MS, Altice FL, Kamarulzaman A, Earnshaw VA.
Lall P, Saifi R, Baggio D, Schoenberger SF, Choo M, Gilbert L, West B, El-Bassel N, Kamarulzaman A. Risk Factors for a Positive Hepatitis C Status in Fishermen in Kuantan Malaysia. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2019 Apr;31(3):227-237.
Shrestha R, Lim SH, Altice FL, Copenhaver M, Wickersham J, Saifi R, Ab Halim MA, Naning H, Kamarulzaman A. (2019). Use of Smartphone to Seek Sexual Health Information Online Among Malaysian Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM): Implications for mHealth Intervention to Increase HIV Testing and Reduce HIV Risks. J Community Health. 2019 Aug 2. doi: 10.1007/s10900-019-00713-x.
Stacey A. Shaw, Olivia Cornwell, Sin How Lim, Rumana Saifi, Lik Teng Ung & Adeeba Kamarulzaman. Allah will decide my life and death : Religion and spirituality among populations at risk for HIV in Malaysia
1.Lall P; Shaw SA, Saifi R, Sherman S, Azmi NN, Pillai V, El-Bassel N, Kamarulzaman A, Wickersham JA. (2017). Acceptability of a Microfinance-based Empowerment Intervention for Transgender and Cisgender Women Sex Workers in Greater Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Aug 2;20(1):1-10. doi: 10.7448/IAS.20.1.21723.
Nasaruddin, A.; Saifi RA; and Kamarulzaman A. (2017). Opening up the HIV epidemic: A Review of HIV Seropositive Status Disclosure among People Who Inject Drugs. AIDS Care 29(5).
Shaw SA; Saifi RA; Saifuddeen S.M; Kamarulzaman A. (2017). Islam and HIV prevention services in Malaysia. Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Social Work. Special Issue on Islam.
Aishah M. Nasarruddin, Rumana A. Saifi, Sajaratulnisah Othman & Adeeba Kamarulzaman (2016): Opening up the HIV epidemic: a review of HIV seropositive status disclosure among people who inject drugs. AIDS Care, DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2016.1220485 [E-publication]
Lall P, Saifi R, Kamarulzaman A.Tobacco Consumption Among HIV-Positive Respondents: Findings From the Third Round of the National Family Health Survey.
Sarowar M.G., Medin E, Gazi R, Koehlmoos T.K., Rehnberg C., Saifi RA., Bhuiya A., Khan, J. Calculation of costs of pregnancy and puerperium related care: Experience from a hospital in a low-income country (2010). Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition 2010 Jun 28(3).
Saifi, R.A., Podhisita, C., Guest, P. and Braynt, J. (2006). The Effect of Migration on Health. Journal of Population and Social Studies 15(1)
Levin A, Amin A, Saifi RA, Barkat-e-Khuda, Mozumder KA. (1999). Cost-effectiveness of Family Planning and Maternal-Child Health Service Delivery Strategies in Rural Bangladesh. International Journal of Health Planning and Management. 14(3):219-233.
- Rahman F, Saifi R, Sreedharan L. - Blueprint
- 20 Years of HIV in Bangladesh: Experiences and Way Forward (2010). - Technical Report
- Saifi, R.A and Oliveras, E. (2010). Impact of Migration on the Health of Bangladeshi Female Labour Migrants. ICDDR, B publication - Technical Report
- Saifi, R.A. (2007). Consequences of early marriage on female schooling in rural Bangladesh. Health and Sciences Bulletin 5(4). - Technical Report
- Sarker S; Islam Z.; Routh S. Saifi R.A.; Begum H.A. Nasim A., Mesbahuddin, M. (2001). Operations research on ESP delivery and community clinics in Bangladesh. Transition plan on shift from outreach to community clinic-based service-delivery system: a study of perspectives of stakeholders. ICDDR, B working paper 146 - Technical Report
- Sarker, S.; Islam, Z.; Hossain,S.; Saifi, R.A.; Saha, N.C.; Jahan, M.; Begum, H.A.; Routh, S. Operations research on ESP delivery and community clinics in Bangladesh. Preliminary assessment of performance of two selected community clinics. ICDDR,B - Technical Report
- Sarker, S; Islam, Z.; Saifi, R.A.; Begum, H.A.; Anwar, S.; Routh, S. (2000). Operations research on ESP delivery and community clinics in Bangladesh. Operational guidelines for management of community clinics by community groups: a study on perspectives of stakeholders. ICDDR,B working paper 138. - Technical Report
- Levin A, Amin A, Saifi RA, Rahman MA, Khuda, B, Mozumder, KA. (1997). Cost-effectiveness of Family Planning and Maternal-Child Health Alternative Service Delivery strategy in Rural Bangladesh In Kane, T.; Khuda, B. and Phillips, J. edited Reproductive Health in Rural Bangladesh. ICDDR, B Research Monograph No. 7 - Monograph
- Levin, A.; Amin, M.A.; Mozumder, K.; Saifi, R.A. (1997). Effect of the Introduction of Contraceptive Pricing on its Use. (ICDDR,B special publication). - Technical Report
- 2021 - 2023, Partnership GrantUsing A Popular Teletraining Platform To Reduce Clinician Stigma And Disparities In Hiv Testing, Prevention And Linkage To Care In Malaysia ( Co-Researcher)
- 2023 - 2028, International FundingStrengthening The Master Of Health Research Ethics Training Program ( Co-Researcher)
- 2023 - 2026, International FundingReducing stigma among people who inject drugs with HIV using a rapid start Antiretroviral therapy intervention., National Institute of Education ( Co-Researcher)
- 2023 - 2025, International FundingStrengthening The Hiv Care Continuum For Transgender Women Living With Hiv In Malaysia ( Principal Investigator(PI))
- 2022 - 2025, International FundingDeveloping an artificial intelligence-based mHealth intervention to increase HIV testing in Malaysia, National Institute of Education ( Co-Researcher)
- 2020 - 2024, International FundingMalaysian Implementation Science Training (mist) Program In Hiv ( Co-Researcher)
- 2020 - 2024, International FundingImplementing Stigma Reduction Tools Via A Popular Teletraining Platform To Reduce Clinician Stigma And Disparities In Hiv Testing, Prevention, And Linkage To Care In Malaysia ( Co-Researcher)
- 2020 - 2024, International FundingMalaysian Implementation Science Training (MIST) Program in HIV, National Institute of Education ( Principal Investigator(PI))
- 2021 - 2023, International FundingGamification to enhance engagement in HIV prevention and comorbid conditions.in young men who have sex with men, National Institute of Education ( Co-Researcher)
- 2021 - 2023, National Institute of Health (NIH), USStrengthening the HIV Care Continuum for Transgender Women Living with HIV in Malaysia, National Institute of Education ( Principal Investigator(PI))
- Tdr Regional Training Centre for Implementation Research Western Pacific Region (Rtc-Ir-Wpr), WHO, Professional Consultant (Ir., Ar., Sr., Ts., dsbnya)01 Dec 2020 - 31 Dec 2022 (International)
- Transition Towards Financial Sustainability: Challenges and Opportunities of The Civil Society Organizations, Malaysian AIDS Council01 Dec 2018 - 01 Dec 2018 (National)
- Ethical Issues Involving Vulnerable Populations, FERCAP INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE 2023, UMMC (International) (27 Nov 2023 - 29 Nov 2023)
- Ethics in Health Research and Clinical Research: Understanding the Grey Area in a Real-Life Research Project, INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON CLINICAL ETHICS (UICCE) 2023, UiTM (International) (06 Sep 2023 - 07 Sep 2023)
- Incorporation of Stigma-Reduction Strategies in Implementation Research, Mental Health Implementation Hackathon, Ministry of Health, Thailand (International) (28 Aug 2023 - 30 Aug 2023)
- Incorporation of Stigma-Reduction Strategies in Implementation Research, MIST Summer Bootcamp 2023, Ceria Yale (International) (17 Jul 2023 - 19 Jul 2023)
- (2023) HIV STATUS, AWARENESS AND PREVENTION STRATEGIES AMONG REFUGEES IN MALAYSIA, GRAZELE JENARUN
- (2023) MQD7015 - Medical Statistics
- (2023) MQF7008 - Practicum in Health Reserach Ethics
- (2023) MQD7013 - Research Methodology in Nursing
- (2022) NA - Mqd7015
- (2022) MQD7015 - Medical Statistics
- (2022) MQB7001 - Research Method
- (2022) MQD7013 - Research Methodology in Nursing