DR. RUMANA AKHTER SAIFI
- Department of Medicine
Faculty of Medicine
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
POPULATION HEALTHpopulation, health, HIV, Infectious Diseases
MPH (Hons), (Public Health)University of Auckland
PhD (Demography), (Demography)Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
MA (Population and Reproductive Health Research), (Population and Reproductive Health Research)Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand
MSocSc (Economics), (Economics)University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
BSocSc (Hons)(Economics), (Economics)University of Dhaka, Bangladesh
Article in Journal
- Earnshaw VA, Cox J, Wong PL, Saifi R, Walters S, Azwa I, Omar SFS, Collier ZK, Hassan AA, Lim SH, Wickersham J, Haddad MS, Kamarulzaman A.
- Earnshaw, V. A., Cox, J., Wong, P. L., Saifi, R., Walters, S., Azwa, I., ... & Altice, F. L. (2022). Acceptability and feasibility of online, asynchronous photovoice with key populations and people living with HIV. AIDS and Behavior, 1-15.
- Walters SM, Li WP, Saifi R, Azwa I, Syed Omar SF, Collier ZK, Amir Hassan AB, Haddad MS, Altice FL, Kamarulzaman A, Earnshaw VA.
- Lall P, Saifi R, Baggio D, Schoenberger SF, Choo M, Gilbert L, West B, El-Bassel N, Kamarulzaman A. Risk Factors for a Positive Hepatitis C Status in Fishermen in Kuantan Malaysia. Asia Pac J Public Health. 2019 Apr;31(3):227-237.
- Shrestha R, Lim SH, Altice FL, Copenhaver M, Wickersham J, Saifi R, Ab Halim MA, Naning H, Kamarulzaman A. (2019). Use of Smartphone to Seek Sexual Health Information Online Among Malaysian Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM): Implications for mHealth Intervention to Increase HIV Testing and Reduce HIV Risks. J Community Health. 2019 Aug 2. doi: 10.1007/s10900-019-00713-x.
- Stacey A. Shaw, Olivia Cornwell, Sin How Lim, Rumana Saifi, Lik Teng Ung & Adeeba Kamarulzaman. Allah will decide my life and death : Religion and spirituality among populations at risk for HIV in Malaysia
- 1.Lall P; Shaw SA, Saifi R, Sherman S, Azmi NN, Pillai V, El-Bassel N, Kamarulzaman A, Wickersham JA. (2017). Acceptability of a Microfinance-based Empowerment Intervention for Transgender and Cisgender Women Sex Workers in Greater Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Aug 2;20(1):1-10. doi: 10.7448/IAS.20.1.21723.
- Nasaruddin, A.; Saifi RA; and Kamarulzaman A. (2017). Opening up the HIV epidemic: A Review of HIV Seropositive Status Disclosure among People Who Inject Drugs. AIDS Care 29(5).
- Shaw SA; Saifi RA; Saifuddeen S.M; Kamarulzaman A. (2017). Islam and HIV prevention services in Malaysia. Journal of Religion and Spirituality in Social Work. Special Issue on Islam.
- Aishah M. Nasarruddin, Rumana A. Saifi, Sajaratulnisah Othman & Adeeba Kamarulzaman (2016): Opening up the HIV epidemic: a review of HIV seropositive status disclosure among people who inject drugs. AIDS Care, DOI: 10.1080/09540121.2016.1220485 [E-publication]
- Lall P, Saifi R, Kamarulzaman A.Tobacco Consumption Among HIV-Positive Respondents: Findings From the Third Round of the National Family Health Survey.
- Sarowar M.G., Medin E, Gazi R, Koehlmoos T.K., Rehnberg C., Saifi RA., Bhuiya A., Khan, J. Calculation of costs of pregnancy and puerperium related care: Experience from a hospital in a low-income country (2010). Journal of Health, Population and Nutrition 2010 Jun 28(3).
- Saifi, R.A., Podhisita, C., Guest, P. and Braynt, J. (2006). The Effect of Migration on Health. Journal of Population and Social Studies 15(1)
- Levin A, Amin A, Saifi RA, Barkat-e-Khuda, Mozumder KA. (1999). Cost-effectiveness of Family Planning and Maternal-Child Health Service Delivery Strategies in Rural Bangladesh. International Journal of Health Planning and Management. 14(3):219-233.
- Rahman F, Saifi R, Sreedharan L. - Blueprint
- 20 Years of HIV in Bangladesh: Experiences and Way Forward (2010). - Technical Report
- Saifi, R.A and Oliveras, E. (2010). Impact of Migration on the Health of Bangladeshi Female Labour Migrants. ICDDR, B publication - Technical Report
- Saifi, R.A. (2007). Consequences of early marriage on female schooling in rural Bangladesh. Health and Sciences Bulletin 5(4). - Technical Report
- Sarker S; Islam Z.; Routh S. Saifi R.A.; Begum H.A. Nasim A., Mesbahuddin, M. (2001). Operations research on ESP delivery and community clinics in Bangladesh. Transition plan on shift from outreach to community clinic-based service-delivery system: a study of perspectives of stakeholders. ICDDR, B working paper 146 - Technical Report
- Sarker, S.; Islam, Z.; Hossain,S.; Saifi, R.A.; Saha, N.C.; Jahan, M.; Begum, H.A.; Routh, S. Operations research on ESP delivery and community clinics in Bangladesh. Preliminary assessment of performance of two selected community clinics. ICDDR,B - Technical Report
- Sarker, S; Islam, Z.; Saifi, R.A.; Begum, H.A.; Anwar, S.; Routh, S. (2000). Operations research on ESP delivery and community clinics in Bangladesh. Operational guidelines for management of community clinics by community groups: a study on perspectives of stakeholders. ICDDR,B working paper 138. - Technical Report
- Levin A, Amin A, Saifi RA, Rahman MA, Khuda, B, Mozumder, KA. (1997). Cost-effectiveness of Family Planning and Maternal-Child Health Alternative Service Delivery strategy in Rural Bangladesh In Kane, T.; Khuda, B. and Phillips, J. edited Reproductive Health in Rural Bangladesh. ICDDR, B Research Monograph No. 7 - Monograph
- Levin, A.; Amin, M.A.; Mozumder, K.; Saifi, R.A. (1997). Effect of the Introduction of Contraceptive Pricing on its Use. (ICDDR,B special publication). - Technical Report
- Transition Towards Financial Sustainability: Challenges and Opportunities of The Civil Society Organizations, Malaysian AIDS Council01 Dec 2018 - 01 Dec 2018 (National)