PROF. DR. IAN CHARLES PATERSON
- Department of Oral and Craniofacial Sciences
Faculty of Dentistry
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
MECHANISMS OF EPITHELIAL CARCINOGENESISTumour progression, metastasis, tissue homeostasis
CANCER DRUG DESIGNStructure-based design, molecular docking, TGF-beta, GPCR
MOLECULAR PATHOLOGY OF HEAD AND NECK CANCERoncogenes, tumour suppressor genes, epigenetics, HPV
PhD, (Biochemistry/Molecular Biology)Bath University, Bath, Uk
BSc (Hons)(Biological Science), (Biological Science)University of London, Uk
Article in Journal
- Abidin SA, Ian Paterson IC, Hunt S, Lambert DW, Higginbotham S, Pink RC. Myofibroblast transdifferentiation is associated with changes in cellular and extracellular ves.icle miRNA abundance PLOS ONE |2021 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0256812.
- Banavar SR, Rawal SY, Jacob SP, Daood U, Paterson IC, Davamani FA, Kajiya M, Kurihara H, Khoo SP, Tan EL. 3D Clumps/Extracellular Matrix Complexes of Periodontal Ligament Stem Cells Ameliorate the Attenuating Effects of LPS on Proliferation and Osteogenic Potential. J Pers Med 2021, 11, 528. https://doi.org/10.3390/jpm11060528.
- Banavar SR, Rawal SY, Paterson IC, Singh G, Davamani F, Khoo SP, Tan EL. Establishing a technique for isolation and characterization of human periodontal ligament derived mesenchymal stem cells. Saudi Dental J 33: 693-701.
- Bruce JP, To KF, Lui VWY, Chung GTY, Chan YY, Tsang CM, Yip KY, Ma BBY, Woo JKS, Hui EP, Mak MKF, Lee SD, Chow C, Velapasamy S, Or YYY, Siu PK, El Ghamrasni S, Prokopec S, Wu M, Kwan JSH, Liu Y, Chan JYK, C. van Hasselt CA, Young LS, Dawson CW, Paterson IC, Yap LF, Tsao SW, Liu FF, Chan ATC, Pugh TJ, Lo KW. Whole-genome profiling of nasopharyngeal carcinoma reveals viral-host co-operation in inflammatory NF- B activation and immune escape. Nature Communications 2021 Jul 7;12(1):4193. doi: 10.1038/s41467-021-24348-6.
- Law LM, Azmi N, Paterson IC, Ng PY. P2Y purinergic receptor signaling in oral squamous cell carcinoma cell lines and its role in proliferation and cisplatin-mediated apoptosis. Sains Malaysiana 2021, accepted.
- Tan ML, Parkinson EK, Yap LF, Paterson IC. Autophagy is deregulated in cancer-associated fibroblasts from oral cancer and is stimulated during the induction of fibroblast senescence by TGF- 1. Scientific Reports 2021, 11:584. doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-79789-8.
- Abdul Rahman M, Tan ML, Johnson SP, Hollows RJ, Chai WL, Mansell JP, Yap LF, Paterson IC. (2020). Deregulation of lysophosphatidic acid metabolism in oral cancer promotes cell migration via the up-regulation of COX-2. PeerJ 8:e10328
- Abdul Rahman, M., Mohamad Haron, D.E., Hollows, R.J., Abdul Ghani, Z.D.F., Ali Mohd, M., Chai, W.L., Ng, C.C., Lye, M.S., Karsani, S.A., Yap, L.F., Paterson, I.C. (2020). Profiling lysophosphatidic acid levels in plasma from head and neck cancer patients. PeerJ 8:e9304.
- Lee HM, Sia APE, Li L, Sathasivam HP, Chan MSA, Rajadurai P, Tsang CM, Tsao SW, Murray PG, Tao Q, Paterson IC, Yap LF. Monoamine oxidase A is downregulated in EBV-associated nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Sci Rep 2020, Apr 9;10(1):6115. doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-63150-0.
- Wang H, Chen M, Sang X, You X, Wang Y, Paterson IC, Hong W, Yang X. Development of small molecule inhibitors targeting TGF- ligand and receptor: Structures, mechanism, preclinical studies and clinical usage. Eur J Med Chem 2020, Eur J Med Chem. 2020 Feb 18;191:112154. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2020.112154. [Epub ahead of print].
- Wu H, Sun Y, Wong WL, Cui J, Lie J, You X, Yap LF, Huang Y, Hong W, Yang X, Paterson IC, Wang H. The development of a novel transforming growth factor- (TGF- ) inhibitor that disrupts ligand-receptor interactions. Eur J Med Chem 2020, 189:112042. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2020.112042. [Epub ahead of print].
- Heng HL, Chee CF, Thy CK, Tee JT, Chin SP, Herr DR, Buckle MJC, Paterson IC, Doughty SW, Abd Rahman N, Chung LY. In vitro functional evaluation of isolaureline, dicentrine and glaucine enantiomers at 5-HT2 and 1 receptors. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2019, 93: 132-138.
- Khoo XH, Paterson IC, Goh BH, Lee WL. Cisplatin-Resistance in Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma: Regulation by Tumor Cell-Derived Extracellular Vesicles. Cancers 2019, 11, 1166; doi:10.3390/cancers11081166
- Lai SL, Tan ML, Hollows RJ, Robinson M, Ibrahim M, Margielewska S, Parkinson EK, Ramananthan A, Zain RB, Mehanna H, Spruce RJ, Wei W, Chung I, Murray PG, Yap LF and Paterson IC. Collagen induces a more proliferative, migratory and chemoresistant phenotype in head and neck cancer via DDR1. Cancers 2019, 11, E1766. doi: 10.3390/cancers11111766.
- Walters K, Sarsenov R, Too WS, Hare RK, Paterson IC, Lambert DW, Brown S, Bradford JR. Comprehensive functional profiling of long non-coding RNAs through a novel pan-cancer integration approach and modular analysis of their protein-coding gene association networks. BMC Genomics. 2019 20:454. doi: 10.1186/s12864-019-5850-7.
- Heng HL, Chee CF, Chin SP, Ouyang Y, Wang H, Buckle MJC, Herr DR, Paterson IC, Doughty SW, Abd. Rahman N, Chung LY. Synthesis and evaluation of nuciferine and roemerine enantiomers as 5-HT2 and 1 receptor antagonists. MedChemComm 2018, 9: 576-582.
- Melling GE, Flannery SE, Abidin SA, Clemmens H, Prajapati P, Hinsley EE, Hunt S, Catto JWF, Coletta RD, Mellone M, Thomas GJ, Parkinson EK, Prime SS, Paterson IC, Buttle DJ, Lambert DW. A miRNA-145/TGF- 1 negative feedback loop regulates the cancer-associated fibroblast phenotype. Carcinogenesis 2018, 39:798-807.
- Velapasamy, S, Dawson CW, Young LS, Paterson IC, Yap LF. The dynamic roles of TGF- signalling in EBV-associated cancers. Cancers 2018, 10 (8) 247; https://doi.org/10.3390/cancers10080247.
- Yap LF, Lai SL, Rhodes A, Sathasivam HP, Abdullah MA, Pua KC, Rajadurai P, Cheah PL, Thavaraj S, Robinson M, Paterson IC. Clinico-pathological features of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas in Malaysia with reference to HPV infection. Infect Agent Cancer 2018, 13:21: doi.org/10.1186/s13027-018-0193-6.
- Hong W, Li J, Chang Z, Tan X, Yang H, Ouyang Y, Yang Y, Kaur S, Paterson IC, Ngeow YF, Wang H. Synthesis and biological evaluation of indole core based derivatives with potent antibacterial activity against resistant bacterial pathogens. J Antibiotics, accepted for publication.
- Lee HM, Lo KW, Wei W, Tsao SW, Ibrahim MH, Dawson CW, Murray PG, Ian C Paterson IC, Yap LF. Oncogenic S1P signalling in EBV-associated nasopharyngeal carcinoma activates AKT and promotes cell migration through S1P receptor 3. J Pathol 2017, 242: 62-72.
- Patmanathan SN, Wang W, Yap LF, Herr DR, Paterson IC. Mechanisms of sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor signalling in cancer. Cellular Signalling 2017, 34: 66-75.
- Prime SS, Cirillo N, Hassona Y, Lambert D, Paterson IC, Mellone M, Thomas GJ, James EL, Parkinson EK. Fibroblast activation and senescence in oral cancer. J Oral Pathol Med 2017, 46: 82-88.
- Verusingam ND, Yeap SK, Ky H, Paterson IC, Khoo SP, Cheong SK, Alan H.K. Ong AHK, Tunku Kamarul T. Susceptibility of Human Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma (OSCC) H103 and H376 cell lines to Retroviral OSKM mediated reprogramming. PeerJ 2017, DOI 10.7717/peerj.3174.
- Zheng W, Tan MF, Old LA, Paterson IC, Jakubovics NS, Choo SW. Distinct Biological Potential of Streptococcus gordonii and Streptococcus sanguinis Revealed by Comparative Genome Analysis. Scientific Reports, accepted for publication.
- Alabsi AM, Lim KL, Paterson IC, Ali-Saeed R, Muharram BA. Cell cycle arrest and apoptosis induction via modulation of mitochondrial integrity by Bcl-2 family members and caspase-dependence in Dracaena Cinnabari- treated H400 human oral squamous cell carcinoma. Biomed Research International 2016: 4904016. doi: 10.1155/2016/4904016.
- Ang MY, Dutta A, Wee WY, Dymock D, Paterson IC, Choo SW. Comparative Genome Analysis of Fusobacterium nucleatum. Genome Biology and Evolution 2016, 8: 2928-2938.
- Choo SW, Rayko M, Tan TK, Hari R, Komissarov A, Wee WY, Yurchenko A, Kliver S, Tamazian G, Antunes A, Wilson RK, Warren WC, Koepfli KP, Minx P, Krasheninnikova K, Kotze A, Dalton DL, Vermaak E, Paterson IC, Dobrynin P, Thomas Sitam F, Rovie Ryan Japning J, Johnson WE, Mohamed Yusoff A, Luo SJ, Vizi Karuppannan K, Fang G, Zheng D, Gerstein MB, Lipovich L, O'Brien SJ, Wong GJ. Pangolin genomes and the evolution of mammalian scales and immunity. Genome Research 2016, 26: 1312-1322.
- Hari R, Paterson IC, Choo SW. A new complete mitogenome of the critically endangered Chinese pangolin Manis pentadactyla. Conservation Genetics Resources 2016, DOI 10.1007/s12686-016-0586-z.
- Herr DR, Reolo MJY, Peh YX, Wang W, Lee CW, Rivera R, Paterson IC, Chun J. Sphingosine 1-phosphate receptor 2 (S1P2) attenuates reactive oxygen species formation and inhibits cell death: implications for otoprotective therapy. Scientific Reports 2016; 6:24541. doi: 10.1038/srep24541.
- Kabir TD, Leigh RJ, Tasena H, Mellone M, Coletta RD, Parkinson EK, Prime SS, Thomas GJ, Paterson IC, Zhou D, McCall J, Speight P, Lambert DW. A miR-335/COX-2/PTEN axis regulates the secretory phenotype of senescent cancer-associated fibroblasts. Aging 2016, , 8: 1608-1635.
- Patmanathan SN, Johnson SP, Lai SL, Panja Bernam S, Lopes V, Wei W, Ibrahim MH, Torta F, Narayanaswamy P, Wenk MR, Herr DR, Murray PG, Yap LF and Paterson IC. Aberrant expression of the S1P regulating enzymes, SPHK1 and SGPL1, contributes to a migratory phenotype in OSCC mediated through S1PR2. Scientific Reports 2016; 6: 25650. DOI: 10.1038/srep25650.
- Tan TK, Tan KY, Hari R, Yusoff AM, Wong GJ, Siow CC, Mutha NVR, Rayko M, Komissarov A, Dobrynin P, Krasheninnikova K, Tamazian G, Paterson IC, Warren WC, Johnson W, O Brien SJ, Choo SW. PGD: A pangolin genome hub for the research community. Database (Oxford) 2016, pii: baw063. doi: 10.1093/database/baw063.
- Yap LF, Lai SL, Patmanathan SN, Gokulan R, Robinson CM, White JB, Chai SJ, Rajadurai P, Prepageran N, Yew YT, Lopes L, Wei W, Hollows RJ, Murray PG, Lambert DW, Hunter KD, Paterson IC. HOPX functions as a tumour suppressor in head and neck cancer. Scientific Reports, 6: 38758. doi: 10.1038/srep38758.
- Zheng W, Tan TK, Paterson IC, Mutha NVR, Siow CC, Tan SY, Old LA, Jakubovics NS, Choo SW. Streptobase: An oral streptococcus mitis group genomic resource and analysis platform. Plos One 2016; 11: e0151908. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0151908.
- Hong W, Wang Y, Chang Z, Yang Y, Pu J, Sun T, Kaur S, Sacchettini JC, Jung H, Wong WL, Yap LF, Ngeow YF, Paterson IC, Wang H. The identification of novel Mycobacterium tuberculosis DHFR inhibitors and the investigation of their binding preferences by using molecular modelling. Scientific Reports 5:15328. doi: 10.1038/srep15328.
- Patmanathan SN, Yap LF, Murray PG, Paterson IC. The antineoplastic properties of FTY720: Evidence for the repurposing of fingolimod. J Cell Mol Med 2015, 19: 2329-2340.
- Saeed AA, Sims AH, Prime SS, Paterson IC, Murray PG, Lopes V. Gene expression profiling reveals biological pathways responsible for phenotypic heterogeneity between UK and Sri Lankan oral squamous cell carcinomas. Oral Oncology 2015, 51: 237-246.
- Taha H, Looi CY, Arya A, Wong WF, Yap LF, Hasanpourghadi M, Mustafa AM, Paterson IC, Ali HM. (6E,10E) Isopolycerasoidol and (6E,10E) Isopolycerasoidol methyl ester, prenylated benzopyran derivatives from Pseuduvaria monticola induce mitochondrial-mediated apoptosis in human breast adenocarcinoma cells. PLoS One. 2015 10: e0126126. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0126126.
- Wei Hong, Zhe Chang, Yu Wang, Tao Sun, Jing Pu, Ian C Paterson, Hao Wang. The Influence of Glycerol on the Binding of Methotrexate to Mycobacterium tuberculosis Dihydroflolate Reductase: A Molecular Modeling Study. Molecular Simulation 2015, 41: 1540- 1545.
- Yap LF, Lee D, Khairuddin ANM, Pairan MF, Puspita B, Siar CH and Paterson IC. The opposing roles of NOTCH signalling in head and neck cancer. Oral Diseases 2015, 21: 850-857.
- Yap LF, Velapasamy S, Lee HM, Thavaraj S, Pathmanathan R, Wei W, Vrzalikova K, Ibrahim MH, Khoo A, Tsao SW, Paterson IC, Taylor GS, Dawson CW and Murray PG. Down- regulation of LPA receptor 5 to aberrant LPA signalling in EBV- associated nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Journal of Pathology 2015, 235: 456-465.
- Ang MY, Dymock D, Tan JL, Thong MH, Tan QK, Wong GJ, Paterson IC, Choo SW. Genome sequence of Fusobacterium nucleatum strain W1481, a possible new subspecies isolated from a periodontal pocket. Genome Announc. 2014 Feb 13;2(1). pii: e00009-14. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.00009-14.
- Hong W, Laughton CA, Yap LF, Paterson IC, Wang H. Investigating the binding preferences of small molecule inhibitors of human protein arginine methyltransferase 1 using molecular modelling. J Mol Graphics Modelling 2014; 51:193-202.
- Shawish HB, Wong WY, Wong YL, Loh SW, Looi CY, Hassandarvish P, Phan AYL, Wong WF, Wang H, Paterson IC, Ea CK, Mustafa MR, Maah MJ. Nickel (II) complex of polyhydroxybenzaldehyde N4- thiosemicarbazone exhibits anti-inflammatory activity by inhibiting NF- B transactivation. Plos One Jun 30;9(6):e100933. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0100933.
- Wang H, Hong W, Paterson IC, Pu J, Laughton CA. Identification of the PcrA DNA helicase reaction pathway by applying advanced targeted molecular dynamic simulation. Molecular Simulation, 2014, 40: 1290-1299.
- Ang MY, Dymock D, Tan JL, Thong MH, Tan QK, Wong GJ, Paterson IC, Choo SW. Genome Sequence of Parvimonas micra Strain A293, Isolated from an Abdominal Abscess from a Patient in the United Kingdom. Genome Announc. 2013 Dec 5;1(6). doi:pii: e01025-13. 10.1128/genomeA.01025-13.
- Wang H, Cui J, Hong W, Paterson IC, Laughton CA. The study of interactions between DNA and PcrA DNA helicase by using targeted molecular dynamic simulations. J Mol Model. 2013; 19: 4997 5006
- Wang H, Sessions RB, Prime SS, Shoemark DK, Allen SJ, Hong W, Narayanan S, Paterson IC. Identification of novel small molecule TGF-beta antagonists using structure-based drug design. J Comput Aided Mol Des. 2013 Apr;27(4):365-372.
- Davies M, Prime SS, Eveson JW, Price N, Ganapathy A, D Mello A, Paterson IC. TGF-beta enhances invasion and metastasis in Ras-transfected human malignant epidermal keratinocytes. Int J Exp Pathol. 2012; 93: 148-156.
- Skeen VR, Paterson I, Paraskeva C, Williams A. TGF- beta1 signalling; connecting aberrant inflammation and colorectal tumorigenesis.Curr Pharm Des 2012 18 (26):3874-3888
- Challen C, Cai C, Brown H, Paterson IC, Sloan P, Betts G, West C, Birch-Machin M, Robinson CM. Mitochondrial DNA abnormalities in head and neck cancer are infrequent and lack prognostic utility. Br J Cancer 2011; 104: 1319-1324.
- Mansell PM, Nowghani M, Pabbruwe M, Paterson IC, Smith A, Blom AW. Lysophosphatidic acid (LPA) and calcitrol drive human osteoblastogenesis; requirement of albumin- bound LPA. Prostaglandins and other lipid mediators 2011; 95: 45-52.
- Ganapathy A, Paterson IC, Prime SS, Eveson JW, Pring M, Price N, Threadgold S, Davies M. TGF-beta inhibits metastasis in late stage human squamous cell carcinoma of the skin by a mechanism that does not involve Id1. Cancer Letters 2010; 298: 107-118.
- Warner D, Paterson IC, Session R. Investigating the Conformational Preferences of Transforming Growth Factor-beta isoforms using Targeted Molecular Dynamics Simulations. J Chemical Theory Computation 2009; 5: 482-490.
- Yap LF, Jenei V, Robinson CM, Moutasim K, Benn TM, Threadgold SP, Lopes V, Wei W, Thomas GJ, Paterson IC. Upregulation of Eps8 in oral squamous cell carcinoma promotes cell migration and invasion through integrin- dependent Rac1 activation. Oncogene 2009; 28: 2524-34.
- Robinson CM, Prime SS, Paterson IC, Guest PG, Eveson JW. Expression of Ki-67 and p53 in cutaneous free flaps used to reconstruct soft tissue defects following resection of oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol. 2007; 43: 263-71.
- Thirthagiri E, Robinson CM, Huntley S, Davies M, Yap LF, Prime SS, and Paterson IC. Spindle assembly checkpoint and centrosome abnormalities in oral cancer. Cancer Letters 2007; 258: 276-85.
- Davies, M, Ganapathy A, Paterson IC, Prime SS. Cell death induced by N-(4-hydroxyphenyl)retinamide in human epidermal keratinocytes is modulated by TGF-beta and diminishes during the progression of squamous cell carcinoma. Int J Cancer 2006; 119: 2803-11.
- Pring M, Prime SS, Parkinson EK and Paterson IC. Dysregulated TGF-beta1-induced Smad signalling occurs as a result of defects in multiple components of the TGF-beta signalling pathway in human head and neck carcinoma cell lines. Int J Oncol. 2006; 28: 1279-85.
- Davies M, Robinson CM, Smith E, Huntley S, Prime SS, Paterson IC. Induction of an epithelial to mesenchymal transition in human immortal and malignant keratinocytes by TGF-beta1 involves MAPK, Smad and AP- 1 signalling pathways. J Cell Biochem; 2005; 95: 918- 31.
- Thavaraj SJ, Paterson IC, Hague A, Prime SS. Over- expression of TGF-beta1 in Smad4-deficient human malignant oral carcinoma cells causes tumour regression in vivo by mechanisms that sensitize cells to apoptosis. J Pathol 2005; 205: 14-20.
- Hewitt C, Wilson P, McGlinn E, MacFarlane G, Papageoriou A, Woodwards RT, Sloan P, Gollin SM, Paterson IC, Parkinson EK, Read AP, Thakker N. DLC1 is unlikely to be a primary target for deletions on chromosome 8p22 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Genes, Chromosomes, Cancer, 2004; 209: 207- 213.
- Huntley SP, Davies M, Matthews JB, Thomas G, Marshall J, Robinson CM, Eveson JW, Paterson IC, Prime SS. Attenuated type II TGF-beta receptor signalling in human malignant oral keratinocytes induces a less differentiated and more aggressive phenotype that is associated with metastatic dissemination. Int J Cancer 2004; 110: 170-176.
- Prime SS, Davies M, Pring M, Paterson IC. The role of TGF-beta in epithelial malignancy and relevance to the pathogenesis of oral cancer (part 2). Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine 2004; 15: 337-347.
- Prime SS, Eveson JW, Stone AM, Huntley SP, Davies M, Paterson IC, Robinson CM. Metastatic dissemination of human malignant oral keratinocyte cell lines following orthotopic transplantation reflects response to TGF- beta1. J Pathol 2004; 203: 927-932.
- Prime SS, Pring M, Davies M, Paterson IC. TGF-beta signal transduction in oro-facial health and non- malignant disease (part 1). Critical Reviews in Oral Biology and Medicine 2004; 15: 324-336.
- Robinson CM, Stone AM, Shields JD, Huntley S, Paterson IC, Prime SS. Functional significance of MMP-2 and MMP-9 expression by human malignant oral keratinocyte cell lines. Archives of Oral Biology 2003; 48: 779-86.
- Toomes C, Jackson A, Maguire K, Wood J, Gollin S, Ishwad C, Paterson IC, Prime SS, Parkinson EK, Woods G, Markham A, Oliver R, Woodward R, Sloan P, Dixon M, Read A, Thakker NS. The presence of multiple regions of homozygous deletion at the CSMD1 locus in oral squamous cell carcinoma question the role of CSMD1 in head and neck carcinogenesis. Genes, Chromosomes, Cancer 2003; 37: 132-140.
- Paterson IC, Davies M, Stone A, Huntley S, Smith E, Pring M, Eveson JW, Robinson CM, Parkinson EK, Prime SS. TGF-beta1 acts as a tumor suppressor of human malignant keratinocytes independently of Smad 4 expression and ligand-induced G1 arrest. Oncogene 2002; 21: 1616-1624.
- Fahey MS, Dawbarn D, Allen SJ, Paterson IC, Prime SS. Expression of a recombinant extracellular domain of the type-II TGF-beta receptor; utilisation in a modified ELISA to screen TGF- agonists and antagonists. Anal Biochem 2001; 290: 272-276
- Paterson IC, Matthews JB, Huntley S, Robinson CM, Fahey M, Parkinson EK, Prime SS. Decreased expression of TGF-beta cell surface receptors during progression of human oral squamous cell carcinoma. J Pathol 2001; 193: 458-467.
- Prime SS, Thakker NS, Pring M, Guest PG, Paterson IC. A review of inherited cancer syndromes and their relevance to oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncology 2001; 37: 1-16.
- Robinson CM, Prime SS, Huntley S, Stone AM, Davies M, Eveson JW, Paterson IC. Overexpression of JunB in undifferentiated malignant rat oral keratinocytes enhances the malignant phenotype in vitro without altering cellular differentiation. Int J Cancer 2001, 91: 625-30.
- Davies M, Prime SS, Stone A, Huntley S, Eveson JW, Paterson IC. Endogenous TGF-beta1 inhibits the growth and metastatic dissemination of rat oral carcinoma cell lines but enhances local bone resorption. J Oral Path Med 2000; 29: 232-40.
- Davies M, Paterson IC, Stone A, Huntley S, Patel V, Curtis R, Matthews JB, Pring M, Eveson JW, Prime SS. Loss of differentiation of 4NQO-induced malignant oral rat keratinocytes correlates with metastatic dissemination and is associated with a reduced cellular response to TGF-beta1 and an altered receptor profile. J Oral Pathol. Med 1999; 28: 397-405.
- Wu CL, Roz L, McKown S, Sloan P, Read AP, Holland S, Porter S, Scully C, Paterson IC, Tavassoli M and Thakker N. DNA studies underestimate the major role of CDKN2A inactivation in oral and oro-pharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas. Genes, Chromosomes, Cancer 1999; 25: 16-25.
- Drugan CS, Paterson IC, Prime SS. FGF receptor expression reflects cellular differentiation in human oral squamous carcinoma cell lines. Carcinogenesis 1998; 19: 101-104.
- Davies M, Prime SS, Stone AM, Heung Y-L, Huntley SP, Matthews JB, Eveson JW, Paterson IC. Overexpression of autocrine TGF-beta1 suppresses the growth of spindle epithelial cells in vitro and in vivo in the rat 4NQO model of oral carcinogenesis. Int J Cancer 1997; 73: 68-74.
- Prime SS, Eveson JW, Guest PG, Parkinson EK, Paterson IC. Early genetic and functional events in the pathogenesis of oral cancer. Radiation Oncology Investigations 1997; 5: 93-96.
- Bailey AM, Kershaw MJ, Hunt BA, Paterson IC, Charnley AK, Reynolds SE, Clarkson JM. Cloning and sequence- analysis of an intron-containing domain from a peptide synthetase encoding of the entomopathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae. Gene 1996; 173: 195-197.
- Collier AJ, Elsegood KA, Yeudall WA, Paterson IC, Prime SS, Sandy JR. TGF-beta isoforms fail to modulate inositol phosphates and cAMP in normal and tumour- derived human oral keratinocytes. Biochim Biophys Acta 1996; 1315: 117-122.
- Fahey MS, Paterson IC, Stone A, Collier AJ, Heung Y- LM, Davies M, Patel V, Parkinson EK, Prime SS. Dysregulation of autocrine TGF-beta isoform production and ligand responses in human tumour-derived and Ha- ras-transfected keratinocytes and fibroblasts. Br J Cancer 1996; 74: 1074-1080.
- Li T-J, Browne RM, Prime SS, Paterson IC, Matthews JB. p53 expression in odontogenic keratocyst epithelium. J Oral Pathol Med 1996; 25: 249-255.
- Paterson IC, Eveson JW, Prime SS. Molecular changes in oral cancer may reflect ethnic origin and aetiology. Oral Oncol, Eur J Cancer 1996; 32B: 150-153.
- Paterson IC, Patel V, Sandy JR, Prime SS, Yeudall WA. Effects of transforming growth factor beta-1 on growth regulatory genes in tumour-derived human oral keratinocytes. Br J Cancer 1995; 72: 922-927.
- Samuels RI, Paterson IC. Cuticle degrading proteases from insect moulting fluid and culture filtrates of entomopathogenic fungi. Comp Biochem Physiol 1995; 110B: 661-669.
- Smithson SL, Paterson IC, Bailey AM, Screen SE, Hunt BA, Cobb BD, Cooper RM, Charnley AK, Clarkson JM. Cloning and characterisation of a gene encoding a cuticle-degrading protease from the insect pathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae. Gene 1995; 166: 161-165.
- Yeudall WA, Paterson IC, Patel V, Prime SS. Presence of human papillomavirus sequences in tumour-derived human oral keratinocytes which express mutant p53. Oral Oncol, Eur J Cancer 1995; 31B: 136-143.
- Paterson IC, Charnley AK, Cooper RM, Clarkson JM. Partial characterisation of specific inducers of a cuticle-degrading protease from the entomopathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae. Microbiology 1994; 140: 3153-3159.
- Paterson IC, Charnley AK, Cooper RM, Clarkson JM. Specific induction of a cuticle-degrading protease of the insect pathogenic fungus Metarhizium anisopliae. Microbiology 1994; 140: 185-189.
- Prime SS, Matthews JB, Patel V, Game SM, Donnelly M, Stone A, Paterson IC, Sandy JR, Yeudall WA. TGF-beta receptor regulation mediates the response to exogenous ligand but is independent of the degree of cellular differentiation in human oral keratinocytes. Int J Cancer 1994; 56: 406-412.
- Paterson IC, Charnley AK, Cooper RM, Clarkson JM. The regulation of production of a fungal trypsin by Metarhizium anisopliae. FEMS Microbiol Letts 1993; 109: 323-327.
- Williams AC, Browne SJ, Yeudall WA, Paterson IC, Marshall CJ, Lane DP, Paraskeva C. Molecular events including p53 and k-ras alterations in the in vitro progression of a human colorectal adenoma cell line to an adenocarcinoma. Oncogene 1993; 8: 3063-3072.
- 2017 - 2018, QiagenThe tumour promoting effects of cancer-associated fibroblasts: The role of autophagy and senescence. ( Principal Investigator(PI))
- 2014 - 2016, ScienceFundRational design and evaluation of aporphinoid compounds for serotonin 5-HT2A receptor activity ( Consultant)
- 2012 - 2015, High Impact Research (HIR)Nutrigenomics and phospholipid signalling in oral cancer: Nutrient-gene interactions ( Principal Investigator(PI))
- 2013 - 2015, High Impact Research (HIR)Contribution of Epstein-Barr Virus, cellular signalling pathways and driver mutations to the pathogenesis of nasopharyngeal cancer ( Consultant)
- 2012 - 2014, ScienceFundSTRUCTURE-BASED DESIGN OF TRANSFORMING GROWTH FACTOR-B TYPE II RECEPTOR INHIBITORS AS POTENTIAL THERAPEUTIC DRUGS ( Principal Investigator(PI))
- Member of Advisory Council, Health and Translational Medicine Cluster, Health and Translational Medicine Cluster, UM01 Sep 2012 - 01 Sep 2012 (National)
- (2014) External examiner for the Bachelor of Medical Sciences Degree. International Medical University, (External Examiner)
(2015) Study of the role of tumor-derived exosomes in drug resistance of oral cancer cells, Khoo Xin Hui (A0800108)
(2014) Senescence and autophagy in cancer-associated fibroblasts of oral squamous cell carcinoma, Tan May Leng
(2013) Aberrant activation of sphingosine 1-phosphate signalling in nasopharyngeal cancer, Lee Hui Min
(2013) Collagen-DDR1 signalling in HPV-positive and -negative head and neck cancer, Lai Sook Ling
(2013) Evolution of mammalian scales and immunity within pangolin genomes and database design and development, Tan Tze King
(2013) Investigation into the roles of LPA in the development and progression of oral cancer, Mariati Bd Abdul Rahman
(2013) Characterisation of the serotonin 5-HT2 and alpha1-adrenergic receptor activities of selected aporphines, Heng Hui Li
(2013) Sequencing and comparative analysis of Streptococcus sanguinis and streptococcus gordonii, Zheng Wenning
(2013) TGF-beta signalling in the regulation of EBV infection and differentiation of squamous epithelium, Sharmila A/P Velapasamy
(2013) Whole-genome sequencing, de novo assembly and analyses of Manis javanica, Ranjeev Hari
(2013) Mechanisms and therapeutic potential of S1P signalling in oral squamous cell carcinoma, Sathya Narayanan Patmanathan
(2006) Investigating a possible role for lysophosphatidic acid and sphingosine 1-phosphate in the pathogenesis of oral squamous cell carcinoma, Stephen Johnson (U0401105)
(2006) Cancer fibroblasts in the progression of oral cancer, Lim Kue Peng (U0401105)
(2003) Molecular characterization of oral squamous cell carcinoma, Yap Lee Fah (U0401105)
(2001) TGF-beta signalling in oral carcinogenesis, Miranda Pring (U0401105)
(2001) Mechanisms of genetic instability in oral cancer, Eswary Thirthagiri (U0401105)
(2000) Mechanisms of tumour suppression by TGF-beta in oral carcinogenesis, Selvam Thavaraj (U0401105)
(1999) Role of TGF-beta in oral carcinogenesis, Maria Davies (U0401105)
(1996) Role of AP-1 and gelatinases in oral carcinogenesis and their regulation by TGF-beta, Max Robinson (U0401105)
(1995) TGF-beta ligand and receptors in squamous carcinogenesis, Mark Fahey (U0401105)