DR. NUR AFIQAH BINTI MOHD SALLEH
- Department of Social and Preventive Medicine
Faculty of Medicine
Dr. Nur Afiqah's past research work has examined institutional-related structures associated with optimal adherence to HIV treatment among HIV-positive people who use illicit drugs (PWUD). This epidemiological work has been informed by sociological perspectives which framed the research questions within a wider social, economic and policy environment. As such, her doctoral research project applied institutional perspectives from a sociological view to explore the extent to which individual and organizational interactions are aligned in achieving a patient-centred care approach, specifically to facilitate improvements in HIV care outcomes among PWUD.
Her current research activities have incorporated a community-based participiatory research (CBPR) component. Using this approach, she engages with local communities of PWUD and NGOs that serve these populations, whose collective views in the design and implementation of health programs are key in developing effective interventions. Additionally, she is actively involved in knowledge-transfer activities, promoting the use of evidence-based practices in real-life settings. She is also interested in drug policies, especially the impact of existing policies on youths and families.
She is also the advisor of the Student-Led Action for Evidence-Based Drug Policies (SLED), run by youths for youths.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
PUBLIC HEALTHInterdisciplinary Studies: Medicine/Sociology
Doctoral Degree (PhD)University of British Columbia
MASTER OF SCIENCE IN PUBLIC HEALTH, (Public Health)University of London, Uk
BACHELOR OF SCIENCE PASS WITH HONOURS BIOINFORMATIC (MAJOR), (Bioinformatik)Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Strategic Planning Rapporteur15 Dec 2020 - 15 Dec 2023 (Faculty)
- Co-Editor Pulse@UM Magazine02 Jul 2020 - 31 Jan 2022 (Faculty)
- Editor-In-Chief, Department Editorial Team Annual Report 202028 Jul 2020 - 31 Aug 2021 (Faculty)
- Industry and Community Liaison Officer, Centre of Excellence for Research in AIDS (CERiA)24 Aug 2020 - 24 Aug 2021 (University Malaya)
- Programme Coordinator14 Jul 2020 - 17 Feb 2021 (Faculty)
- INTERNATIONAL AIDS SOCIETY, ORDINARY MEMBER2021 to 2023 (International)
- INTERNATIONAL AIDS SOCIETY, MEMBER2021 to 2023 (International)
- MALAYSIAN AIDS COUNCIL, ASSISTANT SECRETARY2020 to 2022 (National)
- PERSATUAN INSAF MURNI MALAYSIA, ASSISTANT SECRETARY2020 to 2021 (National)
AWARD AND STEWARDSHIP
- Stigma Research Training Institute Training AwardFogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health, 2020 (International)
- International Scholarship Award from the International AIDS Society to attend the 22nd International AIDS Conference in Amsterdam, NetherlandsInternational AIDS Society, 2018 (International)
- SLAB/SLAI Doctoral ScholarshipUniversity of Malaya and Malaysian Ministry of Higher Education, 2015 (National)
- Research and Health Services at Cure and Care Service Centre, Kuala LumpurUMCares Star Community Partner Award 2014, 2014 (University)
Article in Journal
Blumenkrans, Ezequiel; Hamilton, Jonah; Mohd Salleh, N. A.; Kaida, Angela; Small, Will; Barrios, Rolando; Milloy, M-j (2022). HIV and Incarceration: Implications for HIV-Positive People Who Use Illicit Drugs During a Seek, Test, Treat, and Retain Initiative in Canada, JOURNAL OF CORRECTIONAL HEALTH CARE. 28(4), 236-242. doi:10.1089/jchc.20.04.0021
Mitra, Sanjana; Grant, Cameron; Nolan, Seonaid; Salleh, Nur Afiqah Mohd; Milloy, M-J; Richardson, Lindsey (2022). Assessing the Temporality Between Transitions onto Opioid Agonist Therapy and Engagement with Antiretroviral Therapy in a Cohort of HIV-Positive People Who Use Opioids Daily, AIDS AND BEHAVIOR. 26(6), 1933-1942. doi:10.1007/s10461-021-03543-y
Salleh, Nur Afiqah Mohd; Ahmad, Ahsan; Vicknasingam, Balasingam; Kamarulzaman, Adeeba; Yahya, 'Abqariyah (2022). Material Security Scale as a Measurement of Poverty among Key Populations At-Risk for HIV/AIDS in Malaysia: An Implication for People Who Use Drugs and Transgender People during the COVID-19 Pandemic, INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESEARCH AND PUBLIC HEALTH. 19(15), . doi:10.3390/ijerph19158997
Han, W. M., Jiamsakul, A., Salleh, N. A. M., Choi, J. Y., Huy, B. V., Yunihastuti, E., . . . Int Epidemiology Databases, E. (2021). HIV treatment outcomes among people who acquired HIV via injecting drug use in the Asia-Pacific region: a longitudinal cohort study. Journal of the International AIDS Society, 24(5), 12. doi: 10.1002/jia2.25736
Marthammuthu, T., Hairi, F. M., Choo, W. Y., Salleh, N. A. M., & Hairi, N. N. (2021). A Qualitative Investigation on the Roles of Social Support on Physical Activity Behaviour among the Rural-Dwelling Older Women in Malaysia. International journal of environmental research and public health, 18(18), 15. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(16)32381-9; 10.3390/ijerph18189609
Salleh, N. M., Voon, P., Karamouzian, M., Milloy, M. J., & Richardson, L. (2021). Methadone maintenance therapy service components linked to improvements in HIV care cascade outcomes: A systematic review of trials and observational studies. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 218, 13. doi: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2020.108342
Vicknasingam, B., Salleh, N. A. M., Chooi, W. T., Singh, D., Zaharim, N. M., Kamarulzaman, A., & Chawarski, M. C. (2021). COVID-19 Impact on Healthcare and Supportive Services for People Who Use Drugs (PWUDs) in Malaysia. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 12, 7. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2021.630730
Balasingam, V., Mohd Salleh, NA., Chooi, WT., Singh, D., Mohd-Zaharim, N., Kamarulzaman, A., Chawarski, M. (2021) COVID-19 impact on healthcare and supportive services for people who use drugs (PWUDs) in Malaysia. Frontiers in Psychiatry.
Vicknasingam, B., Mohd Salleh, NA., Ramadah, R., Singh, D., Kamarulzaman, A., & Chawarski, M. Legal challenges in providing treatment for people who use drugs (PWUDs) in Malaysia. (2021). Int J Drug Policy. Volume 97.
Salleh, N. A., Van Draanen, J., Nosova, E., Barrios, R., Milloy, M. J., & Richardson, L. (2020). Material security and adherence to antiretroviral therapy (ART) among HIV-positive people who use illicit drugs. AIDS (London, England).
Salleh, N. M., Voon, P., Karamouzian, M., Milloy, M. J., & Richardson, L. (2020). Methadone maintenance therapy service components linked to improvements in HIV care cascade outcomes: A systematic review of trials and observational studies. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 108342.
Ickowicz, S., Salleh, N. M., Fairbairn, N., Richardson, L., Small, W., & Milloy, M. J. (2019). Criminal Justice System Involvement as a Risk Factor for Detectable Plasma HIV Viral Load in People Who Use Illicit Drugs: A Longitudinal Cohort Study. AIDS and Behavior, 23(9), 2634-2639.
Mohd Salleh, N. A., Fairbairn, N., Nolan, S., Barrios, R., Shoveller, J., Richardson, L., & Milloy, M. J. (2019). Dispensation of antiretroviral therapy and methadone maintenance therapy at the same facility in a low barrier setting linked to optimal adherence to HIV treatment. HIV Medicine. [Epub ahead of print]
W Adams, J., D Marshall, B., Mohd Salleh, NA., Barrios, R., Nolan, S. and Milloy, M-J. Receipt of opioid agonist treatment halves the risk of HIV-1 RNA viral load rebound through improved ART adherence for HIV-infected women who use illicit drugs. (2019) Accepted in Drug Alcohol and Dependence.
Yeung, B., Salleh, NA., Soc as, E., Dong, H., Shoveller, J., Montaner, J. S. G., & Milloy, M. J. (2019). Prevalence and Correlates of Reporting Difficulty Taking Antiretroviral Treatment Among HIV-Positive Illicit Drug Users in Vancouver, Canada: A Longitudinal Analysis. AIDS and Behavior, 23(5), 1250-1257.
Salleh, N. A. M., Richardson, L., Kerr, T., Shoveller, J., Montaner, J., Kamarulzaman, A., & Milloy, M. J. (2018). A longitudinal analysis of daily pill burden and likelihood of optimal adherence to antiretroviral therapy among people living with HIV who use drugs. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 12(4), 308-314.
Rahman, F., Mohd Salleh, N. A., Golichenko, O., & Lunze, K. (2016). Public Health and Drug Policing in Malaysia: Using Empirical Evidence for Advocacy. Asia Pacific Dispute Resolution Project (APDR) Working Paper Series.
- A Need for Community-Based Rehabilitation Centres for Drug Users. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- NA Mohd Salleh. (2021) Peluang Kedua: Peranan Komuniti Terhadap Pengguna Dadah. Gerak Komuniti. Bernama Radio. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- NA Mohd Salleh. Cabaran Malaysia akhiri AIDS menjelang 2030. Temu bual bersama Astro Awani. (2021). - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- NA Mohd Salleh. Ending social inequalities to end AIDS in Malaysia. News Straits Times. 1 December 2021 - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Orang Asli's battle against Covid-19 outbreak. News Straits Times. 24 November 2021. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- NA Mohd Salleh (2020) How are they faring? News Straits Times. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- NA Mohd Salleh (2020). HIV: Pengurangan Kemudaratan. Astro Awani. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Mohd Salleh, NA. (2019) They are patients, not criminals. The Star Online. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- 2020 - 2023, Others MOHE - Top 100 (IIRG)-HWBImplementation Of A Community- Based, Patient Navigation Model To Engage People Who Inject Drugs (pwid) Into Hiv Prevention And Treatment Services ( Principal Investigator(PI))
- 2020 - 2023, Others MOHE - Top 100 (IIRG)-HWBEnabling Data Linkage To Assess Health Outcomes Among Pwid Engaged In A Community-based Intervention ( Co-Researcher)
- Strengthen Access to Justice and Empowerment of Key Populations Who Use Drugs or Live With Hiv, United Nations Development Program (UNDP) , Project Leader/Lead Consultant18 Oct 2021 - 28 Feb 2022 (International)
- A Study to Assess The Well-Being of Key Populations Engaged in Hiv-Related Services in The Context of Covid-19, International Drug Policy Consortium01 Dec 2020 - 01 Dec 2020 (International)
- A systematic review of methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) service delivery components linked to HIV care cascade outcomes, 22nd International AIDS Conference, International AIDS Society (International) (23 Jul 2018 - 27 Jul 2018)
- Co-dispensation of low-barrier methadone maintenance therapy (MMT) and antiretroviral therapy (ART) linked to improved ART adherence among people living with HIV who use illicit drugs in a Canadian setting, 22nd International AIDS Conference, International AIDS Society (International) (18 Jul 2018 - 22 Jul 2018)
- (2021) Panel reviewer for UMSC CA.R.E Fund Research Grant cycle 1/2021., (Reviewer)
- (2020) Internal Examiner for PhD Proposal Defence on study entitled The Effect of Individualized Pressure Injury Care Bundle (I-PICB) On Pressure Injury Healing Rate, Wound Size, And Quality of Life Among Patient with Pressure Injury , (Internal Examiner)
- (2020) Internal Examiner for DrPH Thesis entitled "The Psychological Impact of Infertility Among Malaysian Interfile Men and Women: A Mixed Methods Approach" , (Internal Examiner)
- (2020) Reviewed manuscript for Journal of Health and Translational Medicine (JUMMEC) , (Reviewer)
- (2020) Internal Examiner for PhD Candidature Defence on study entitled "Affiliate Stigma, Resilience and Quality of Life In Parents of Children With Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD)" , (Internal Examiner)
- (2020) Panel Judge for UMMP Stage 1 Population Medicine (PopMed) Poster Presentation , (Internal Examiner)
- (2020) Panel Judge for 3 Minute Thesis, Research Methodology Course , (Internal Examiner)
- Internal Examiner for proposal defense for thesis entitled, "Methodological Quality of Guidelines for the Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder: A Systematic Review". Master of Medical Science (MMedSc) candidate Abuzar Watan Pal ( MGN180039 / 17198590/1) , (Internal Examiner)
- Assessor for Faculty of Pharmacy FRGS Application, (Reviewer)
(2022) BARRIERS TO UTILISATION OF ADOLESCENT HEALTH SERVICE IN PRIMARY HEALTHCARE AMONG ADOLESCENT IN MALAYSIA : A MIXED-METHOD STUDY, AISHAH JAMILAH BINTI MOHD SALLEH
(2022) KNOWLEDGE,BARRIERS & UTILISATION OF SEXUAL REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH SERVICES AMONG YOUTHS AGES 18-24 YEARS OLD IN MALAYSIA-A MIX METHODS STUDY, ROWENA JOHN
(2022) COMORBIDITY AND HEALTH-SEEKING BEHAVIOUR AMONG ADULT WITH COLORECTAL CANCER: A MIXED METHOD STUDY, HADIJAH BINTI YUNOS
(2022) Antiretroviral Therapy uptake among HIV Positive People who inject drugs in Differentiated HIV Service Delivery for Key Population (DHSKP) in Malaysia and Enhance Outreach Model in Myanmar: A Comparative Study using Implementation Science Framework, Joselyn Pang
(2021) SOCIAL SUPPORT AND PHYSICAL ACTIVITY AMONGST RURAL COMMUNITY-DWELLING OLDER WOMEN IN NEGERI SEMBILAN, MALAYSIA, THANESWARAN A/L MARTHAMMUTHU
(2020) Health Seeking Behaviour and Health Service Utilisation among Adolescent in Pahang: A mixed-methods study, Aishah Jamilah Binti Mohd Salleh
(2020) Comorbidity among adults with colorectal cancer: A mixed methods, Hadijah Yunos
(2019) Knowledge, barriers and utilisation of adolescents sexual reproductive health services in Malaysia, Rowena John
(2019) ART uptake among HIV-Positive PWIDs in Differentiated HIV Service Delivery for Key Population (DHSKP) in Malaysia, Joselyn Pang
(2018) Physical activity and Social Support amongst the Older Women in Rural Kuala Pilah District, NS, Thaneswaran Muthu
(2020) Smoking cessation among Healthcare Worker in Primary Health Care, Amir Zharif Adenan
(2019) Impact Of Covid-19 Pandemic On The Stress Level Of Patients On Haemodialysis, Ashraf Ahmed
(2019) Hand Hygiene among Public Middle School Students in Lebanon, Ghina Slim
(2019) Access To Innovative Medicine: Using Secondary Data Analysis To Access Drug Lag In Malaysia, Chow Wan Lee
(2019) Factors Associated With Tuberculosis Treatment Outcomes In A Tertiary Centre In Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Nadhir Adi Azahar
- (2022) MQF - 7006
- (2021) MQF7006 - Ethical Issues in Global Health Research and Clinical Trials
- (2020) MMX7001 - Research Methodology (Bibliography Software/Endnote/Turnitin)
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY ACTIVITIES
- Sharing Session With Community Members On Harm Reduction in Vancouver Via Zoom, (22 May 2020 - 22 May 2020)