Dr. Haezreena is a Criminologist and a Senior Lecturer at the Faculty of Law, University Malaya. She was called to the Malaysian Bar in 1997 and has extensive experience in civil and criminal litigation. Dr Haezreena is against all forms of violence, discrimination and oppression, and believes that communication is vital to achieving positive results. Her specialization includes; human trafficking, criminology, incarceration, victimology, gender, human rights, international crimes, and criminal justice.
Dr. Haezreena obtained her PhD in Criminology from Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand and was also a Teaching Fellow prior to joining UM in 2020. She enjoys learning and contributing her ideas to the field of law and criminology. Dr Haezreena is guided by the works of Michael Foucalt who addresses the relationship between power and knowledge, and theorists such as Sandra Walklate and Nils Christie who believes that crime, offenders and victims are socially constructed.
Her thesis entitled 'Sex Trafficking: Victimisation and Agency: The Experiences of Migrant Women in Malaysia' received high praise from international scholars for its orginality and novelty. Her research did not only bring women’s voices and lived experience to the forefront but also revealed the women’s outlooks, vulnerabilities, and aspirations in order to improve the treatment of victims of trafficking.
Dr Haezreena describes herself as a post-colonial theorist and a socio-legal scholar who thrives to uphold human rights and justice without fear or favour. Using her legal background and her criminological knowledge as her forefront, she strives to understand the fabrics of the society and make sense of the problems and dilemma faced by individuals from all walks of life. She is currently exploring the criminological theories that can be applied to human trafficking, and the relationship between gender and victimisation.
Dr Haezreena has also written numerous articles on the continuum of harm of trafficking, victim blaming, inequality, and gender disparities. Her works are often cited and referred to by local and international NGOs, and government agencies. She works closely with GAATW and NZPC who focuses on trafficking and victimisation of trafficked individuals.
Given her extensive experience in anti-trafficking and human rights initiatives, Dr Haezreena was awarded a Grant by the United States Embassy of Kuala Lumpur in 2022 to conduct capacity building training for law enforcement officials and Protection Officers.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
CRIMINOLOGYPolicing and Crime
CRIMINOLOGYCriminology, Crime, Victimisation, Gender Studies
HUMAN TRAFFICKING AND MIGRATIONhuman trafficking, migration, smuggling
CRIMINAL LAWCrime, Criminology, Human Rights, Human Trafficking, International Crimes, Evidence, Human Rights, Victimology
Doctoral Degree (PhD), (Criminology)Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
MASTER DEGREE, (Undang-Undang)University of Leicester, Leicester, Uk
Diploma, (Syariah dan Undang-Undang)International Islamic University Malaysia (Iium)
Bachelor Degree, (Undang-Undang)International Islamic University Malaysia (Iium)
- Programme Coordinator01 Sep 2022 - 31 Dec 2023 (Faculty)
- ADMITTED AS AN ADVOCATE & SOLICITOR IN THE HIGH COURT OF MALAYA, MEMBER1997 to 2020 (National)
- CHAIRPERSON AND MEMBER OF DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE, DISCIPLINARY COMMITTEE, BAR COUNCIL, COMMITTEE MEMBER2013 to 2015 (National)
AWARD AND STEWARDSHIP
- Best AbstractSociological Association of Aotearoa, New Zealand, 2016 (International)
- BEST ORALSociological Association of Aotearoa, New Zealand, 2016 (International)
Article in Journal
- Hamid, H. B. A. (2022). May I Have Some Privacy Please? Malayan Law Journal, 1(1), ccxxxv - ccxlvi.
- Hamid, H. B. A. (2022). May I Have Some Privacy Please? Malayan Law Journal, 1, ccxxxv - ccxlvi.
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2022). COMBATTING SEXUAL CYBERVIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN IN MALAYSIA. Malayan Law Journal, 3(1), ccxxxi-ccxlviii.
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2022). DNA EVIDENCE IN THE CRIMINAL JUSTICE SYSTEM AND PRIVACY RIGHTS. Malayan Law Journal, 2, xcix - cxiii.
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2022). EXPLORING CONSENT IN SEX WORK AND SEX TRAFFICKING. Malayan Law Journal, 3(1), VI-XXII.
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2022). The Impact of Covid-19 On Migrants and Trafficked Persons in Malaysia. Malaysian Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 7(4), 1-15. doi:https://doi.org/10.47405/mjssh.v7i4.1427
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2022). Understanding The Impact of DNA Evidence In The Criminal Justice System. Journal of Malaysian And Comparative Law, 49(2), 43-58.
- Hamid, H. B. A. (2021). Policing the migrants in times of covid-19. Academia Letters, 2178, 1-5
- Hamid, H. B. A. (2021, July 13). The Policing and Blaming of Migrants for the Spread of Covid-19 in Malaysia. UM Research Bulletin, 20(1), 55-57.
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2021). A Review of the Anti-Sex Trafficking Approach in Malaysia. Journal of Malaysian And Comparative Law, 48(2)
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2021). Exploring Victim Blaming Attitudes In Cases of Rape and Sexual Violence: The Relationship With Patriarchy. Malaysian Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, 6(11).
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2021). Exploring the victim protection policies on trafficked women in Malaysia. Malayan Law Journal, 4(1).
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2021). Human Traffickers: Are They All Bad? Current Law Journal, 1(LNS (A), cxliv.
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2021). Sex Trafficking: Study, Design, Ethics and Methodological Challenges. Malayan Law Journal Reports Article Supplement, 4(1), cxxii-cxlviii.
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2021). The relationship between patriarchy and victim blaming in cases of rape and sexual violence. University of Malaya Journal of Law and Policy, 1(2).
- Abdul Hamid, Haezreena. 2019. A Qualitative Research Report on the Experiences of Trafficked Women in Malaysia. New Zealand Women s Studies Journal, 33(1/2): 33-47
- Abdul Hamid, Haezreena. 2019. Overview of Sex Trafficking in Malaysia: Re-positioning the trafficked women. Southeast Asian Social Science Review, 4 (1), 135-151.
- Abdul Hamid, Haezreena. 2019. Silence and Silencing of Women: The case of Trafficked Women. GEOGRAFIA Malaysian Journal of Society and Space, 15(3), 1-12.
Hamid H.B.A. (2023). CONSENT IN A TRAFFICKING PARADIGM: EXPLORING THE CONFLATION BETWEEN SEX TRAFFICKING AND VOLUNTARY SEX WORK, UUM Journal of Legal Studies. 14(1), 161-188. doi:10.32890/uumjls2023.14.1.7
Hamid H.B.A. (2022). Sex Traffickers: Friend or foe?, Anti-Trafficking Review. 2022(18), 87-102. doi:10.14197/atr.201222186
Chapter in Books
- Mary George et al, (2023), State Practice of Asian Countries in International Law: Malaysia. In Asian Yearbook of International Law, Brill. Vol 26, pp 283-297.
- Hamid, H. B. A. (2022). Addressing Gender-based Violence against Women in Malaysia during the Pandemic. In Y. Wahyuningrum, J. M.-B. Barredo, & T. Wicaksono (Eds.), Advancing Southeast Asia through Gender Mainstreaming (2021 ed., pp. 84-104). Yogyakarta: Asean Studies Centre, Universitas Gadjah Mada.
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2022). Qualitative Studies in Cases of Trafficking: The Case of Migrant Women in Malaysia. In R. Throne (Ed.), Social Justice Research Methods for Doctoral Research (pp. 1-24). Hershey PA: IGI Global.
Article in Proceeding
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2021, November 14). Crime in Asian Countries or Region. Paper presented at the China-ASEAN Regional Criminal Justice Education Symposium, Wuhan, China.
- (2022, August 2). RUU Anti Gangguan Seksual [Television series episode]. In TV3 (Executive producer), Malaysia Hari Ini. Petaling Jaya: TV3. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- (2022, August 29). The Brief [Television series episode]. In TV, B. (Executive producer), Perspective: Corporal Punishment. Kuala Lumpur: Bernama TV. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- (2022, August 4). Cerita [Television series episode]. In Awani, A. (Executive producer), Waspada ancaman scammer , jangan sampai jadi mangsa! Kuala Lumpur: Astro Awani. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2022, July 22) RUU Anti Gangguan Seksual/Interviewer: M. Z. Z. b. A. Azid. Buletin Utama 7 pm, Media Prima Berhad, Petaling Jaya. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2022, July 22) RUU Anti Gangguan Seksual/Interviewer: M. Z. Z. b. A. Azid. Buletin Utama TV3, Media Prima, Petaling Jaya. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Supramani, S. (2022). Harmful act of affection. theSun. Retrieved from https://www.thesundaily.my/home/harmful-act-of-affection-CF9546510 - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Hamid, D. H. B. b. A. (2021, March 1) Sekatan Jalan Raya, Apa SOP Polis?/Interviewer: F. Husni. Sembang Kepolisan, Facebook, Kuala Lumpur. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Hamid, H. B. A. (2021, July 13). The Policing and Blaming of Migrants for the Spread of Covid-19 in Malaysia. UM Research Bulletin, 1, 55-57. Retrieved from https://online.fliphtml5.com/gllgr/bmwk/?1626141940671#p=55 - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Hamid, H. B. b. A. (2021, October 11) International Day of the Girl 2021/Interviewer: R. Perak. Perakfm Prihatin, Radio Televisyen Malaysia, Perak. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Kwan, F. (2021, February 28). The fine s not the thing, says psychologist. Free Malaysia Today. Retrieved from https://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2021/02/28/the-fines-not-the-thing-says-psychologist/ - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Radio Televisyen Malaysia, J. P. M., Negeri Perak (Director). (2021). Kenali Ordinan Darurat (Kuasa - Kuasa Perlu)(No. 2) 2021 [Radio]. In Untuk Kome Aje. Malaysia. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- Radio Televisyen Malaysia, J. P. M., Negeri Perak (Writer). (2021b). Kenali Ordinan Darurat (Kuasa - Kuasa Perlu)(No. 2) 2021 [Radio]. In J. P. M. Radio Televisyen Malaysia, Negeri Perak (Producer), Untuk Kome Aje. Malaysia. - Mass Media(Newspaper,Radio,Tv,Popular Magazine)
- 2022 - 2023, International FundingCapacity Building On Tip Prevention And Protection ( Principal Investigator(PI))
- Trafficking of Women in Malaysia, Trafficking of Women in Malaysia, IIUM Law Students Society (National) (12 May 2022 - 12 May 2022)
- Sex Traffickers: Friend or Foe, Launching of Special Issue themed Traffickers , Global Alliance Against Trafficking in Women (International) (25 Apr 2022 - 25 May 2022)
- Researching Community: Ethical Research and Guidance, Researching Community: Ethical Research and Guidance, UMREC (University) (11 Apr 2022 - 11 Apr 2022)
- Crime Situation in ASEAN Region, China-ASEAN Criminal Justice Education Symposium, Zhongnan University, Wuhan, China (International) (14 Nov 2021 - 14 Nov 2021)
- Overview on Legal Perspective of the Usage of Medical Marijuana, Medical Marijuana: Is It the answer to stress?, BAC College (National) (05 Oct 2021 - 05 Oct 2021)
- Women Empowerment, INTERNATIONAL WOMEN S DAY CELEBRATION AND PRIZE DISTRIBUTION OF THE NATIONAL CRIMINOLOGY QUIZ COMPETITION, The Indian Society of Criminology, Department of Criminology University of Madras Chennai, Tamil Nadu, INDIA. (International) (08 Mar 2021 - 08 Mar 2021)
- (2023) Perlantikan Sebagai Ahli Jawatankuasa Etika Penyelidikan Kemanusiaan (Bukan Perubatan) Umrec, University, (Internal Assessor)
- (2022) Examiner for Phd Defence of Samasjai Samasaed, The Importance of Fact-Finding in Criminal Trials: a Study of Judges Work in The Courts of Justice in Thailand, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, International, (External Examiner)
- (2022) Pelantikan Sebagai Ahli Jawatankuasa Taskforce Pemilihan Penilai Luar Bagi Tujuan Pelantikan/ Kenaikan Pangkat Fakulti Undang-Undang, University, (Reviewer)
- (2021) Internal Assessor for Candidature Defence of Abdullah Hassan S Aldosari (17021209/1 (Lva170004)), Paper Entitled "Armed Conflicts in The Middle East: a Study On The Use of Force, State Violations and The Saudi/Yemen War Under International Law", University, (Internal Assessor)
- (2021) External Examiner for a Phd Thesis Entitled 'The Palermo Protocol and The Childrens Rights Convention as Conduits to a Revised Legal Framework Encompassing: Legal Empowerment Access to Justice, Effects of Deterrence, and Redress: a Critical-Case, Socio-Legal Research Investigating State Responsibility for The Prevention and Protection of Force Displaced Stateless Children (Children Displaced Across Borders) Vulnerable to Human Trafficking and Exploitation in Southeast Asia' by Tanya Herring (500425367) of University of Bangor, International, (External Examiner)
- (2021) Panel Penemuduga Bagi Kemasukkan Pelajar Baru Ke Fakulti Undang - Undang Tahun 2021, University, (Reviewer)
Contribution to external organisation
- (2023) Expert Advisor, National, (Expert Advisor)
- (2023) Appointment as Head of Cluster (Governance, Law and Public Administration), National, (Resource Person)
- (2022) Appointment as UM Faculty of Medicine Advisor On Legal Aspects: Who Decarceration Project, University, (Expert Advisor)
Contribution to event
- (2022) Jemputan Sebagai Penceramah Untuk Seminar Keselamatan Wanita - Lindungi Diri Dari Keganasan Domestik dan Gangguan Seksual, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2022) Speaker - The Ethics of Conducting Sensitive Research, International, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2022) Pelantikan Sebagai Penceramah Untuk Training of Trainers (Tot) Workshop: Strengthening and Amplifying The Voices of Women and Young People Affected by Punitive Drug Policies in South East Asia (Inspire-Malaysia), National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2022) Penceramah - Sexual Harrasment in Schools, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2022) Speaker - Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Act 1998, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2022) Invitation to The Standingforthe28 Forum, as a Speaker : a Part of a Student-Led Anti-Cyberbullying Campaign, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2022) Speaker - Trafficking of Women in Malaysia, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2022) Speaker : Researching Community: Ethical Challenges and Guidance, University, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2021) Presenter and Participant in The 5th Conference On Human Rights: Human Rights and Human Security in Asia During The Covid-19 Pandemic, International, (Participant)
- (2021) Jemputan Sebagai Hakim Pusingan Awal Pertandingan Penghujahan Mahkamah Unisza 2021, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2021) Talk On Medical Marijuana in Malaysia: is it The Answer to Stress?, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2021) Participant in The 10th Asia Pro Bono Virtual Conference & Access to Justice Exchange Seminar, International, (Participant)
- (2021) Panel Speaker for Muls Law Seminar: Exploring The Legal Aspects of Forensics, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2021) Webinar: International Women Day Celebration: Women Empowerment, International, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2022) Speaker - Selamat Pagi Malaysia Pelaku Jenayah Ganas Bukan Sakit Mental - Rtm - Https://WWW.Youtube.Com/Watch?V=Xnozjsio5jc, National, (Interview)
- (2022) Perspective: Corporal Punishment, National, (Interview)
- (2022) Contributor of The Article Harmful Act of Affection, National, (Interview)
- (2022) Speaker - Waspada Ancaman Scammer: Jangan Sampai Jadi Mangsa - Https://Youtu.Be/_kavgioi8qy, National, (Interview)
- (2022) Ruu Anti Gangguan Seksual - Malaysia Hari Ini, Tv3, National, (Interview)
- (2022) Interviewed by Tv3 On The Sexual Harassment Bill That Was Passed by The Dewan Rakyat On 20 July 2022, National, (Interview)
- (2021) Speaker: Rtm Radio Perakfm: Atipsom (International Day of The Girl 2021) Segmen Untuk Kome Aje, National, (Interview)
- (2021) Talk: Rtm Radio Perakfm: Atipsom (Pemerdagangan Manusia), National, (Interview)
- (2021) Kenali Ordinan Darurat (Kuasa - Kuasa Perlu)(No. 2) 2021 Segmen Untuk Kome Aje, National, (Interview)
- (2021) Panel Speaker: Sembang Kepolisan: Sekatan Jalan Raya, Apa Sop Polis?, National, (Panelist/Moderator)
- (2021) Article On Free Malaysia Today The Fine S Not The Thing Says Psychologist, National, (Interview)
- (2023) Lantikan Sebagai Ahli Pasukan Pembangunan Kurikulum Bagi Program Umcced, University, (Mentor)
(2022) Decriminalising Suicide Amongst Youths in Malaysia: A Qualitative Study based on a Malaysian Legal Perspective, MICHELE SHIVAANII SUNDRA RAJ
(2022) AGRO-CHEMICAL POISONING OF FEMALE EMPLOYEES IN PALM OIL PLANTATIONS AND THE LEGAL PROTECTION IN MALAYSIA, SHANTINI SUKUMARAN
(2022) Analysis of Sexual Harassment Laws in Malaysia: Towards Better Protection for Women and Child., PAVITRA A/P KALAISELVAN
(2022) Research on Judicial Protection of Human Rights from the Perspective of International Human Rights Law, Jinghan Shi
(2022) Combating Drug Crime as a Transnational Crime Through Bilateral Drug Control Cooperation Between Indonesia and Malaysia, Djeri Oktafyan Wowiling
(2022) APPRAISAL OF SEXUAL OFFENCES UNDER NIGERIAN LAWS WITH SPECIAL REFERENCE TO CLASSICAL ISLAMIC CRIMINAL LAW AND SHARI’A PENAL CODES OF NORTHERN NIGERIA, Abdullahi Abba Aji
(2022) Legal & Procedural Challenges to the Child’s Testimony in Criminal Justice System of Pakistan: Critical Analysis, ILAHI BUKSH
(2020) Women Victims of Crime in Malaysia: Legal Reforms and Prospects of Restorative Justice Approaches., SHIZREEN FARINA BINTI SHAHARUL RIZAL
(2020) Exploring Allegations Of Police Misconduct In Malaysia And Its Implications, NITHIA A/P PERUMAL
(2020) The Challenges In Investigating Online Fraud In Malaysia And Possible Solutions, SELVAKUMAR A/L BALAKRISHNAN
(2020) Exploring Allegations Of Police Misconduct In Malaysia And Its Implications, INTAN AZIRA AZAHAR
(2020) Application Of Criminal Profiling As Evidence In Malaysia Criminal Justice System, WONG JUN WEN
- (2022) LQC7012 - Forensic Evidence
- (2021) LQC7011 - Human Rights
- (2020) LQC7007 - Forensic Science
- (2021) LIA4003 - Law Firm Management
- (2020) LIA4011 - Bachelor/First Degree
- (2020) LIA4013 - Civil Procedure Ii