DR. FLORENCE KUEK CHEE WEE
- Department of Chinese Studies
Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
Dr. Florence is a Senior Lecturer at the Chinese Studies Department, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences, Universiti Malaya.
She is the Assistant Secretary of the Association of Professionals in Curriculum and Education Instruction (APROCEI), a committee member of the Writers Association of Chinese Medium Malaysia, member of International Association of Ethical Literary Criticism (IAELC), Society of Sinophone Studies (SSS), Malaysian Association of Applied Linguistics (MAAL), and reviewer for international journals and conferences.
Florence’s research foci include contemporary Chinese literature, literary criticism, L2 language teaching and learning, and education. Her latest research projects include Han Suyin studies; ethical literary criticism; Malay and Chinese literature; EFL teaching and learning in China. Besides contributing to Web of Science and SCOPUS indexed journals, Florence is also involved in several bilingual or trilingual translation works in Malay, English, and Chinese languages.
- PhD, PHILOSOPHY, UNIVERSITI MALAYA (UM)
- M.ARTS, ARTS(CIVILIZATION STUDIES), UNIVERSITI MALAYA (UM)
- B.ARTS, ARTS, UNIVERSITI MALAYA (UM)
- Member, Member, 2022 to present (National)
- Assistant Secretary, Professionals in Curriculum and Education Instruction (APROCEI), Assistant Secretary, Since 2021 (National)
- Member, Malaysian Association of Applied Linguistics (MAAL), Member, 2021 to present (National)
- Committee Member, Writers Association of Chinese Medium Malaysia, Committee Member, Since 2019 (National)
- Life Member, International Association for Ethical Literary Criticism (IAELC), Member, Since 2013 (International)
- Life Member, Society of Sinophone Studies (SSS), Member, Since 2021 (International)
(Course Title),(Level of Study),(Institution),(Academic Session)
(Title of publication in APA style)
- Wong, DTW., Kuek, F., & Fan, P. W. (2021). Han Suyin's Picnic in Malaya: Lament on the unending misery of womanhood in the newly independent Malaya by a Chinese doctor. Interdisciplinary Studies of Literature 5(3), 420-431.
- Chen, C., and Kuek, F. (2021). A Systematic Review of Studies on English Learning for Ethnic Minority Students in China: 2010-2019. PLATFORM-A Journal of Management & Humanities 4(14), 2-11
- Kuek, Florence, Ng, S.B., Ng, Y.L., Chai, S.L., Fan, P.S. (2021). An Online Continuous Professional Development Programme on Literature Pedagogy for the Teaching of Mahua Literature in Malaysia. e-Bangi, 18(4), 16-31.
- Chen, C., and Kuek, F. (2020). Content Analysis on Research Trends of English as Public Speaking Skills in China. International Journal of Innovation, Creativity and Change. 14(8), 716-731.
- Chen, C., and Kuek, F. (2020). The Development of English Public Speaking Competence Rating Scale for EFL University and College Students in China. International Journal of Research and Review 7(11), 573-587.
- Li, Hui, and Kuek, F. (2020). Insight into Cognitive and Affective Determinants on EFL Writing: Retrospect and Prospect. Creativity and Innovation 4(8), 68-80
- Kuek, Florence (2020). Post-Trauma: A Comparison of the Malay and Chinese Psyches in Response to the May 13 Tragedy in Their Literary Works from 1969 to 2019. Sun Yat-sen Journal of Humanities 49(7), 43-60.
- Kuek, F., & Fan, P. S. (2015). An Appeal for Legitimacy: A Reflection on the Autobiographies of Pearl S. Buck and Han Suyin. Universitas Monthly Review of Philosophy & Culture. 42 (4), 39-60
- Kuek, F., & Fan, P. W. (2014). Rosalie or not Rosalie: Han Suyin s ethical identity and ethical choices in the Crippled Tree series. Forum of World's Literature Studies. 6 (2), 200-217
- Kuek, F., & Ling, T. S. (2017). Autobiographies and Ethical Literary Criticism. Interlitteraria. 22 (2), 282-296
- Kuek, F., & Ling, T. S. (2017). Homeland and Complexities: Identity Search in Selected Mahua Literature: White Ants, Drizzle, Citizenship, and Don't Mention It Again. International Journal of Diaspora and Cultural Criticism. 7(2), 237-265. Doi: 10.15519/dcc.2017.06.7.2.237
- Lai, C. (2021). 80 Years, 80 Poems. Ho, W. C., & Teo, A. M., (Malay Trans.). Kuek, F., & Leong, S. Y. (English Trans.). PEFSPEKTIF.
- Cheun, HH, Low, HL and Kuek CW. (2012). 2nd Edition. Practical Mandarin Guidebook for Non-native Speakers (with CD). Seri Kembangan United Publishing House (M) Sdn Bhd
- Kuek, F. (2021). Chuangshanghou: Malai he Mahua zuojia dui 513 shijian de xinli bijiao (Post-Trauma: Malay and Malaysian Chinese literary response to the 513 tragedy). In Sixiang Bijiweiyuanhui (Ed.). Wuyisan de Youling. 303-328. ISBN: 978-957-08-5954-6.
- Kuek, F. (2021). Faithful to the Text: Translation of Metaphors in Ho Sok Fong s Award-Winning Anthology Lake Like a Mirror. The 2nd Malaysian Association of Applied Linguistics International Conference (MAALIC) 2021 Proceedings. 60-64. ISBN: 978-967-26614
- He, S., & Kuek, F. (2020). Analysis of Value Orientation Framework of Junior High Chinese Textbooks. 2020 World Symposium on Software Engineering (WSSE) Proceedings. 151-154. ISBN: 978-1-4503-8787-3
- Hoe, FT, & Kuek, CW. (2004). The Word Sequence Diagrams A Proposed Method for Non-native speakers in Learning Elementary Mandarin. The Inaugural CLS International Conference CLaSIC 2004 Proceedings, 1-3 Dec 2004.
- Kuek, F. (2020). Chuanqi Mingzuojia Han Suyin Yisheng [Legendary Medical Doctor-Writer Dr Han Suyin]. Unilifesity Magazine of Humanities. 4(4), 12-15. ISBN: 2710-5695
- Kuek, F. (2020). Zhongwen Duzhequn Ziwai De Huixiang: He Shufang De Humian Rujing Yingyiben [Responses Beyond Chinese Readers: English Translation of Ho Sok Fong's Lake Like A Mirror]. Chao Foon Journal, 514, 108-110. ISBN: 0126-6608
- Zakir, SM. (2019). Reflections on the 15th Huazong Literary Awards Ceremony (Kuek, F. Trans.). Sinyun Column. Sinchew Jit Poh.
- Kuek, Florence (2004). Chinese Education in Malaysia: A Reflection of Its Past & Future Direction. Kairos Research Magazine. (2)
(Title of Thesis),(Name of Candidates),(Institution),(Academic Level)
- A Needs Analysis of Zhuang Minority EFL College Students English Oral Presentation Skills in a Public University of China, Chen Cheng, Segi University (Post Graduate Student)
- Effects of Translation Workshop Approach on the Development of Critical Thinking and Translation Competence of Undergraduate English Majors in a University in China, Yang Ting, Segi University (Post Graduate Student)
(Contribution to Society),(Duration),(Level)
- Penolong Pendaftar Pemilih SPR – Wakil University Suruhan Pilihan Raya Selangor Registration Venue: First City University College , 28/02/2019 to 27/02/2020 (University)
- First City Big Walk 2016 - Fundraising for four disabled homes, namely, Beautiful Gate; Lovely Disabled Home; Independent Living for Disabled Selangor; and, Malaysia Parents with Disabilities Association. , 02/04/2016 to 02/04/2016 (University)