DR. LEE AI LING
- Drama Department
Faculty of Creative Arts
- : https://modularcriticism.blogspot.com/
- ResearcherID : https://publons.com/researcher/ABB-7279-2020/
- Scopus Author ID : http://www.scopus.com/authid/detail.url?authorId=55837881900
- PubMed : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=Lee+CAL&cauthor_id=31701877
- Google Scholar : https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=AMcYxL8AAAAJ&hl=en
- ORCID ID : https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9705-5689
Clarissa Ai Ling Lee is an artscience creator/researcher. She is equally interested in creative and academically rigorous interventions when it comes to interdisciplinary and transdisciplinary collaborations. Prior to starting her PhD, she had spent 6 years working in industry as well as in non-academic research while also pursuing her MA during that time. She had spent an even longer period freelancing in the creative and media industries, as a copywriter, arts/literary reviewer, columnist, and a features writer. She is always looking for ways to bore into the stubborn boundaries of teaching, learning, and thinking. She enjoys making pedagogical and informational videos, creative-philosophical guidebooks, and has run multiple workshops on artscience creation/speculative design. She is presently a visiting fellow with the ISEAS Yusof Ishak in Singapore under their Media, Technology, and Society programme, working on a project relating to political social media, race, and cybersecurity in Malaysia and Southeast Asia more broadly.
She has a BSc in Physics (Hons) and MA in English Literature from University Malaya. Her PhD in Literature; together with graduate certificates in the history and philosophy of science, technology and medicine; feminist studies; as well as information science, information studies; are from Duke University.
- PHD, PHILOSOPHY, DUKE UNIVERSITY, DURHAM, N.C
- M.A, ARTS, UNIVERSITI MALAYA (UM)
- BSC, SCIENCE, UNIVERSITI MALAYA (UM)
(Title of publication in APA style)
- Lee, Clarissa Ai Ling (2022). Channelling Artscience Through Fan-Fiction for Diversifying STEM Approaches in Participatory Learning in Malaysia, AMERICAN BEHAVIORAL SCIENTIST. (), . doi:10.1177/00027642221078511
- Lee, C. A. L., & Kerr, E. (2020). Trolls at the polls: What cyberharassment, online political activism, and baiting algorithms can show us about the rise and fall of Pakatan Harapan (May 2018-February 2020). First Monday, 25(6). https://doi.org/10.5210/fm.v25i6.10704 (SCOPUS)
- Lee, C. A. L. (2019). What Science Fiction Can Demonstrate About Novelty in the Context of Discovery and Scientific Creativity. Foundations of Science, 24(4), 705 725. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10699-019-09615-6 (WoS)
- Tsekleves, E., Yong, M. H., Lee, C. A. L., Giga, S., Hwang, J. S., & Lau, S. L. (2019). Rethinking how healthcare is conceptualised and delivered through speculative design in the UK and Malaysia: A Comparative study. The Design Journal, 22(sup1), 429 444. https://doi.org/10.1080/14606925.2019.1595430 (WoS)
- Kerr, E., & Lee, C. A. L. (2021). Trolls maintained: Baiting technological infrastructures of informational justice. Information, Communication & Society, 24(1), 1 18. https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2019.1623903 (WoS)
- Lee, C. A. L., & Low, W. S. (2018). Speculative Code: Mediating the Virtual-Reality of Emergent. Nomorepotlucks, 49. http://nomorepotlucks.org/site/speculative-code-mediating-the-virtual-reality-of-emergent-science-clarissa-ai-ling-lee-wai-sern-low/ (Non-WoS/Non-SCOPUS)
- Lee, C. A. L. (2019). Nuclear science and technology in the Malaysian context: Three phases of technoscientific knowledge transfer (ETTLG). Studies in History and Philosophy of Science Part A, 77, 130 140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.shpsa.2017.10.002 (WoS)
- Lee, C. A. L. (2017). Gender, and Internationalism: Women s Academic Networks,1917 1955/Girls Coming to Tech! A History of American Engineering Education for Women. East Asian Science, Technology and Society, 11(1), 119 125. https://doi.org/10.1215/18752160-3494390 (SCOPUS)
- Lee Clarissa Ai Ling. (2015). Non-trivial philosophy: Cybernetics, data analytics, and the biophysics of information theory. Kybernetes, 44(8/9), 1310 1323. https://doi.org/10.1108/K-10-2014-0227 (WoS)
- Lee, C. A. L. (2014). Schr dinger s notebook: Shifting real. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 84, 143 154. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2013.09.010 (WoS)
- LEE, C. (2014). Samuel Chase Coale, Quirks of the Quantum: Postmodernism and Contemporary American Fiction (Charlottesville and London: University of Virginia Press, 2012, $24.50). Pp. 222. Journal of American Studies, 48(4), E115. doi:10.1017/S0021875814001789 (WoS)
- Lee, C. (2014). Historical Personalities: Tweeting Standard Narratives in the History of Science - Social Media Trends in Medical History. Medical History, 58(4), 627-628. doi:10.1017/mdh.2014.63 (WoS)
- Lee, C. A. L. (2013). Emmy Noether, Maria Goeppert Mayer, and their Cyborgian Counterparts: Triangulating Mathematical-Theoretical Physics, Feminist Science Studies, and Feminist Science Fiction. Ada: A Journal of Gender, New Media, and Technology, 3(Feminist Science Fiction). https://adanewmedia.org/2013/11/issue3-lee/ (Non-WoS/Non-SCOPUS)
- Lee, C.A.L. (2017). Review of Making Medical Knowledge by Miriam Solomon. Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 6(1 ), 1-8.
- Lee, C.A.L. (2016). ArtScientist/ScienceArtist: Finding a Creative-Intellectual Room of One s Own.Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective.
- Lee, C.A.L. (2015). Why Do Critical Science Studies? A Prolegomena. Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 4(12) : 51-55.
- Lee, C.A.L. (2022) Diagramming ArtScience: Designing at Knowledge Intersections. In Leslie Atzmon (ed.) Design and Science. Bloonmsbury Academic Publishing.
- Lee, C. A. L., Yong, M. H., Lim, S. C., Giga, S., Lau, S. L., Johan, J., & Tsekleves, E. (2021). ImaginAging Malaysia: Bringing participatory speculative design to Malaysia s exploration of healthy ageing in place. In E. Tsekleves, R. Cooper, & J. Spencer (Eds.), Design for Global Challenges and Goals (pp. 155 169). Taylor & Francis.
- Lee, C. A. L. (2020). Cyborgian Episteme as Queer Art-science. In C. H. Gray, H. Figueroa-Sarriera, & S. Mentor (Eds.), Modified: Living as a Cyborg (pp. 139 148). Taylor & Francis.
- Lee, C. A. L. (2017). Interdisciplinarity. In B. S. Turner (Ed.), The Wiley Blackwell Encyclopedia of Social Theory (pp. 1 3). Wiley Blackwell. doi.org/10.1002/9781118430873.est0681
- Lee, C.A.L. (2018). Radiation and the Public: the role of nuclear security and safeguards in public acceptance of nuclear technology in the case of Malaysia. IAEA-CN-269-329. Conference Proceedings of the International Conference on Security of Radioactive Material: the Way Forward for Prevention and Detection, abstract 329.
- Lee, C. A. L., & Lau, S. L. (2018). Imagining the Future of Foods Through Speculative Design. International Conference on Culture Technology 2018. International Conference on Culture Technology. http://iacst.org/iacst/Conferences/ICCT2018/sessions/Session%20ST6/727.htm (Non-WoS/Non-SCOPUS)
- Lee, CAL (Oktober-Disember 2021). Antara Seni dan Sains: Wujud Sekuntum Falsafah Sinkretik. Svara 08.
- Lee, C. A. L. (2019). Speculative design brings bottom up approach to healthy ageing in place. The Compass, 5, 14. https://jci.edu.my/jcicompass/THE-COMPASS-No-5-2019-Web-Edition.pdf
- Lee, C. A. L. (2018). Historical Amnesia of the Scientific Mind in Southeast Asia. Compass, 4, 10. https://jci.edu.my/jcicompass/JCI-Compass_2018.pdf
- Lee, C. A. L. (2017). When Twentieth Century Physics Arrived in British Malaya: Establishing Physics Literacy. Asia Pacific Physics Newsletter, 6(1), 52 54.
- Lee, C. A. L. (2017). Nuclear Science as Big Science in Southeast Asia: A Case of Malaysia. Asia Pacific Physics Newsletter, 6(2), 42 45.
- Lee, C. A. L., & Lee, S. L. (2020, July 3). Episode 32. The Distillery. https://distillery.site/episodes/clarissa-lee/
- Lee, C. A. L. (2020, September 16). On COVID-19 and vulnerable communities [Academic]. History of Science ON CALL: Listening, Attending, Acting. https://www.mpiwg-berlin.mpg.de/video/history-science-call-clarissa-lee-ai-ling
- TheMattmosphere & Lee, C. A. L. (2019). Clarissa Lee. Wombat Radio. Retrieved February 9, 2021, from http://wombatradio.com.au/clarissa-lee/
- Lee, C. A. L. (2017, August 16). Big Data and Sustainable Development in the Age of Inequality. Jeffrey Sachs Center on Sustainable Development Sunway University, Malaysia. http://jeffreysachs.center/columns-op-eds/big-data-and-sustainable-development-age-inequality
- Lee, C.A.L (2021). Artscience: A Curious Education. Kuala Lumpur: Gerakbudaya Essentials
- Lee, C.A.L. (2021). Automating Dissent with Hashtags: from #Kitajagakita to #Benderahitam [Policy Brief]. Fulcrum. Forthcoming
- Lee, C.A.L. (2021). Malaysia s #Kitajagakita Invigorates Political Activism and Tackles Apathy [Policy Brief], Fulcrum. Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute).
- Lee, C. A. L., & Adli Rosli, A. (2021, August 19). Najib Razak: Bestriding Social Media Like a Bossku. Fulcrum. https://fulcrum.sg/najib-razak-bestriding-social-media-like-a-bossku/
(Title of Thesis),(Name of Candidates),(Institution),(Academic Level)
- Experimental Films in Mainland China: An Analysis of its Social and Cultural Characteristics with the Development of Digital Technology, Yuan Meng, University of Malaya (PhD)
(Title of Thesis),(Academic Session)
- Final Year Academic (RIB 3001), 2021
- Final Year Academic (RIB3001), 2021
- Pendapat penonton terhadap permasalahan berkaitan plot dan watak dalam drama melayu/ GKI1001, 2021
(Linkages Description),(Organisation),(Duration of Involvement),(Level)
(Name of Award/Stewardship),(Awarding Institution),(Year Awarded),(Type of Award)
- Visiting Fellowship in the Media, Technology, and Society Programme at ISEAS Yusof-Ishak, Institute of Southeast Asian Studies (ISEAS)-Yusof Ishak, Singapore, 2021 (GENERAL ACHIEVEMENTS)